Help on cab/amp switcher

the weakest link we love so much

Help on cab/amp switcher

Postby JimSalabim » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:20 am

Hi!
I have two 50W tube amps and I want to connect them to a cabinet – only one amp at a time. The other amp should be connected to a 16 ohm dummy load at the same time (four 4 ohm power resistors in series, each 50 W).

Can I use a 4PDT toggle switch to do this and would it work as shown in my image?
Of course I would switch both amps to standby while flipping the 4PDT switch.
JimSalabim

Re: Help on cab/amp switcher

Postby Geek » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:03 pm

Looks good!

Suitable switches I have used for such are the Digikey part number SC1821-ND (Mouser 502-50212LX),

Toggles are easier to mount, but I find the slides easier to work with hooking up with that many wires behind it.

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby JimSalabim » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:36 pm

Thanks! I am just a bit worried about the few milliseconds between one set of contacts opening and the other closing on the dummy load, so one or both amps will be open circuited.

Maybe I could relays instead, like this, but with 4 relays instead of 2 then.

Or could this be a problem because of the 1/2 second when the same loads are active on both amps then? (???)
JimSalabim

Postby Geek » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:12 am

JimSalabim wrote:I am just a bit worried about the few milliseconds between one set of contacts opening and the other closing on the dummy load, so one or both amps will be open circuited.

Amps aren't delicate. mS won't do anything.

But if you're really that concerned, use a MBB (Make Before Break) contact switch.

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Return to loudspeakers