thrift store Advents

the weakest link we love so much

thrift store Advents

Postby DeathRex » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:37 pm

Found some Advent 2Ws at the thrift store. Don't know if I lucked out or not.
They were made in 1977 and not in that good of shape. It has the original tweeters, but Advent's weird woofer has been replaced. For some reason, probably money, Advent put in a 12" basket with a 9 1/2" cone and Masonite to hold the two. Someone reconed it with a full size cone, very well done too.
One thing I'm disappointed in is their sensitivity, or lack there of. Compared to my big Sansuis I have to turn the volume from 1/5 way up to about 1/3 way up for the Advents. they do sound good although lacking a bit of bass and high treble.

Makes me wonder how those Fostex sound.
At first I wanted to be a ET. Now I are one.
DeathRex
KT88

Re: thrift store Advents

Postby DeathRex » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:02 pm

Found that tone controls are a good thing. Put these on my PP GU-50 amp, turned up the treble 3 clicks and the bass 2, and POW, these speaks are sounding good. Universal Mind Control about made my drawers drop.
At first I wanted to be a ET. Now I are one.
DeathRex
KT88

Re: thrift store Advents

Postby snitch56 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:28 pm

Thrift stores and Salvation Army stores are great places to find good speakers. I bought a pair of Dynaco A-25xl's for $28, a clone pair of Dynaco A-25's for $14, and a pair of Scott S-15 speakers for $14. All these speakers had only minor cosmetic issues. I always bring a AAA battery with two wires to test the drivers while in the store along with a small flashlight to look behind the non removable grills. The one speaker I see all the time and am curious as to if they are worth buying are those Baby Advents. I think you can still get OEM drivers for them.
snitch56

Return to loudspeakers