thrift store JBLs

the weakest link we love so much

thrift store JBLs

Postby nyazzip » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:31 pm

just brought home some JBL Lancer 77 speakers....$6.99 USD each.
i took the grill off one at the store and it looked clean, so i went for it. unfortunately one of the tweeters seems like it is out, and even worse, after a few minutes of playing i started to hear noise, and sure enough, the surrounds were deteriorating.... :'(
i can return them "if they don't work", so i may, but at 14 bucks its almost not worth it. maybe i can find someone local and see if i can get the surrounds redone, and get a couple cheap tweeters. hmmm
here they are....and nevermind the carpet ;)

nyazzip
KT88

Re: thrift store JBLs

Postby Geek » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:33 pm

Score!

Yeah, most higher end speakers I see in thrift stores suffer from foam rot :'(

The good news is JBL's can usually be re-coned or re-foamed. I think AES sells kits?

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby nyazzip » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:09 pm

each enclosure has a passive radiator....so it kinda sux to have to recone or re-surround a passive radiator, seems to me....i wonder if i could just pull out the passive radiator and "brick in" the hole.....the insulation looks identical to the Dynaco A25 stuff- fiberglass. i removed a driver, they are very nice aluminum frames, large voice coil; heavy(but enclosed) magnet; crossovers are housed in an aluminum box; nice heavy wire....these were decent quality speakers i'd guess. 1971 is what i read.
nyazzip
KT88

Postby DeathRex » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:03 pm

70s speakers are some of the best. I refoamed my ESS 1Bs, wasn't that hard, just have to keep everything aligned. If you mess up buy another kit. Looks like those are about $200-$300 speakers. I can't even find soundesign speakers here. :'(

What's with the carpet???!!!! :P

Other things of note: Sweet metal bar stool, sweet white column/speaker holder and speakers, and sweet endtables.
You should have your own room makeover show; in each episode you just add a ST-35 and 2 sets of speakers, BOOM instant makeover.
At first I wanted to be a ET. Now I are one.
DeathRex
KT88

Postby nyazzip » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:28 pm

What's with the carpet???!!!!

been tearing it out the past 4 weeks....figured i'd leave a few patches to preserve the floor till the dust settles

Other things of note: Sweet metal bar stool

nope, thats the edge of a '50s kitchen "diner style" formica-top table i got off craigslist.....came with 4 original chairs too

sweet white column/speaker holder and speakers

thanks, those columns have been in and outside for the past 15 years. gonna paint them. speakers are dynaco a25s that are 4 years in to a rehab....need to sand and paint them; the white color is Killz primer

and sweet endtables.

my parents got them in the early to mid '60s. as you can see, i am in to the whole midcentury-modern thing
:))
nyazzip
KT88

Postby FastlaneAudio » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:06 am

nyazzip wrote:each enclosure has a passive radiator....so it kinda sux to have to recone or re-surround a passive radiator, seems to me....i wonder if i could just pull out the passive radiator and "brick in" the hole.....the insulation looks identical to the Dynaco A25 stuff- fiberglass. i removed a driver, they are very nice aluminum frames, large voice coil; heavy(but enclosed) magnet; crossovers are housed in an aluminum box; nice heavy wire....these were decent quality speakers i'd guess. 1971 is what i read.

Being JBL speakers, I would think they are worthy fully restoring to original operation.

Re-foaming is very easy, you can get kits on ebay with instructions.

Dave
What I don't know is a lot.
FastlaneAudio

Postby nyazzip » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:31 pm

...ah but i ended up returning them for "store credit" :|
i have way too many restoration projects on various back burners as it is; the fact that a tweeter was roasted was the straw that broke the deal....not to mix metaphors or anything
moral of the story: just because antique drivers look cosmetically OK in the store does not mean that the surrounds won't turn to powder at the first sign of an audio signal....
nyazzip
KT88

Return to loudspeakers