Polk Audio SDA-2A

the weakest link we love so much

Polk Audio SDA-2A

Postby TerrySmith » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:32 pm

I just picked up a pair of SDA-2A speakers. Two of the drivers have bad foam surrounds. Can I replace the drivers with a universal type or does it need to be the exact one? Also there's an interconnect cable that connects one speaker to the other that's missing, I think I can make one up.

Anyone familiar with the SDA speakers as far as how they perform?
T. Smith
TerrySmith
KT88

Re: Polk Audio SDA-2A

Postby mesherm » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:45 pm

I had a similar problem with a pair of Infinity HPM15s. The foam surround on the 15 inch woofers was "perished" (to use my British friend Joey's description).
I removed them and shipped them to A Brown Soun and they rebuilt them good as new.
Do those Polks use a passive radiator? If so the active speaker properties of any replacement should probably match pretty closely. I suspect that Polk used the same midrange drivers for many of their models of the time. I used to own a pair of Polk 10Bs which I foolishly sold a few years later before I was interested in tube amps.
Mike's N-1 Rule: When looking for N number of components to finish a job, you have a 95% chance of only finding N-1 of them.
mesherm
KT88

Postby Quad » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:24 am

TerrySmith wrote:I just picked up a pair of SDA-2A speakers. Two of the drivers have bad foam surrounds. Can I replace the drivers with a universal type or does it need to be the exact one? Also there's an interconnect cable that connects one speaker to the other that's missing, I think I can make one up.

Anyone familiar with the SDA speakers as far as how they perform?

You don't want to try replacing the surround?

http://www.parts-express.com/Tech/260-915.html
Quad
KT88

Postby TerrySmith » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:40 am

You don't want to try replacing the surround?

I had totally forgotten about Parts Express, I'll give that a try!
T. Smith
TerrySmith
KT88

Return to loudspeakers