JBL 2600s - need new 6.5 inch woofers.

the weakest link we love so much

JBL 2600s - need new 6.5 inch woofers.

Postby EWBrown » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:57 pm

I was given a pair of JBL 2600 bookshelf speakers, today. Of course, there was a minor string attached, the 6.5 inch woofers have rotted out foam surrounds. The cabs, and tweeters are in pristine condition.

So, I'm asking where I can get new replacements for these, I looked up in Parts Express and Madisound, they don;t carry these. The closest thing I could find, which would fit neatly, and without hacking up the cabs, is some Pioneer 6.5 inch "general replacement" woofers. :/

And, no, I would prefer not to go with the "refoaming" route, I've tried that on other speakers, and ended up with still-bad speakers, and a gluey-gooey mess :'( :( =:o (sick)

I "redistributed" this pic fromthe e-place, it may disappear at any time...

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby lakerat » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:12 pm

I have had very good dealings with this place
http://www.simplyspeakers.com/replaceme ... 206-8.html
http://www.simplyspeakers.com/replaceme ... -6028.html

I have bought JBL NOS parts from them. And foam kits not too messy!!
http://www.simplyspeakers.com/jbl-speak ... k-6.5.html ,
lakerat

Postby mesherm » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:52 pm

When the foam surround in my Infinity SM150s 15" woofers rotted out I sent them both to A Broun Soun and they re-coned them and installed rubber surrounds and they worked great. There must be speaker rebuilders near you.
Mike's N-1 Rule: When looking for N number of components to finish a job, you have a 95% chance of only finding N-1 of them.
mesherm
KT88

Postby fatuncle » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:09 pm

have you ever heard of these folks.

http://www.millersound.net/about.htm
fatuncle

Postby EWBrown » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:27 pm

I decided to go with re-foaming, got the repair kit from Simply Speakers, and it actually worked out very well,
and not the gluey, gooey mess like I experienced several years ago.

Worked out very nicely, and the JBLs now sound pretty good, though not overly efficient (around 89 dB/W/M SPL).

The glue included with the repair kit is similar to the "model airplane" glue from the 1960s,
and not that slow-curing "white" glue which I dealt with earlier.
The new surrounds are a lot better than the old foams, these should last for a LONG time.

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby lakerat » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:22 pm

That is great. I think JBL's are worth the effort. have several pairs. I have a 89db pair and a 92db pair. They al sound great with the clementine i built.
lakerat

Postby 20to20 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:53 pm

EWBrown wrote:I decided to go with re-foaming, got the repair kit from Simply Speakers, and it actually worked out very well,
and not the gluey, gooey mess like I experienced several years ago.

Worked out very nicely, and the JBLs now sound pretty good, though not overly efficient (around 89 dB/W/M SPL).

The glue included with the repair kit is similar to the "model airplane" glue from the 1960s,
and not that slow-curing "white" glue which I dealt with earlier.
The new surrounds are a lot better than the old foams, these should last for a LONG time.

/ed B

There is definitley an art to it. Anyone who has the guts to try it, the patience to do it carefully, and then comes out with a job they feel good about, deserves a big ol' ATTABOY!
Headed for Tishomingo to sing in a can...
20to20
KT88

Return to loudspeakers