Critesspeakers

the weakest link we love so much

Critesspeakers

Postby leadtower » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:20 pm

Say; has anyone looked at these DIY two-way horn/bass-reflex kits?
They are on the Critesspeaker website. Look like a good reasonably sized efficient design. For a good price. You can buy CNC routed face boards or a flat-pack with all parts.
leadtower

Re: Critesspeakers

Postby FastlaneAudio » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:09 am

Bob Crites has nice products, and he is great to deal with.

Dave
What I don't know is a lot.
FastlaneAudio

Postby leadtower » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:47 pm

Thanks for responding. I found the tall 12" interesting to consider. Any chance you have constructed one of these? If so; I would be thankfull for any opinions you might care to offer. The drivers he proposes look to be fairly common units in DIY builds. The time to cut and route and finish all that wood is better spent doing other things IMHO. In the photos his work looks very good.
leadtower

Postby gothover » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:20 pm

?
gothover

Postby FastlaneAudio » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:23 pm

I have not built Bob CS-1,because I build my 2 version similar to this speaker myself.

I am sure Bobs speaker is very nice.

Dave
What I don't know is a lot.
FastlaneAudio

Postby coolhandjjl » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:43 am

Bob's design are highly regarded, and he is one of the most helpful audio guys out there. He posts on the Klipsch Community/Updates and Modifications Forums frequently.
http://community.klipsch.com/forums/6.aspx
coolhandjjl

Postby leadtower » Tue May 28, 2013 7:27 pm

I see some of the other mods to the Klipsch speakers as well as variations on horn loaded/ported two-ways designed by the same modders. I like the sound and I lived with a pair of Cornwalls and forte's for some time. It's just the size that gets you. My question is the differences seem small in nature for many of those variations. They seem similar in execution. What is it that makes for those differences? Personal preference? Has anyone tried a more modest sized corner horn? I know Pi sells one. Would be nice to get back into that big; effortless sound again. Anyone who might have a thought regarding this tye of implementation I could use some ideas for the different pro drivers I have on hand. Or a little thoughtfull banter.
leadtower

Postby coolhandjjl » Wed May 29, 2013 8:50 am

Noodle around on DIYAudio, AudioAsylum and AudioHeritage (JBL, Altec, etc) Forums. There are lots of folks intensely passionate about horn loaded enclosures, for the corner or free standing. Front loaded, back loaded, you name it. And lots of high efficiency folks as well. Almost an obsession to get great sound by being the person who can get it with the least amount of power under 1 watt. But lots of people still regard the K-horn's bass horn as about as good as you can get. Greg Roberts of Volti Audio is experimenting with a modded K-Horn by trying to round over or smoothen out the tight bends created by its folds.
coolhandjjl

Postby leadtower » Thu May 30, 2013 6:46 am

Thanks for those Coolhand. Something about the bass notes in big drivers; the best bass I have ever heard came from Bozak 12"ers. A thing they do. Who knows why? I bring this up here because I am using all DIYTUBE amplification. Seems like a natural pairing to me.
leadtower

Postby coolhandjjl » Thu May 30, 2013 12:37 pm

Check out these guys:
http://oswaldsmillaudio.com/
I believe they have an annual contest where people bring in their home-made gear, just horns and tubes.
coolhandjjl

Return to loudspeakers