speaker stands

the weakest link we love so much

speaker stands

Postby nyazzip » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:14 pm

i'd like to make(maybe buy but probably not) some DIY speaker stands, actually for my Dynaco a25s.....i'd like to get them up off the floor about 2 feet or so
i am under the impression that heavy/dense stands would provide more accurate imaging and better bass transfer...? an initial thought is maybe some big sections of piping, maybe 5-6" PVC, filled with sand, with a square "cap" of hardwood or something on each end.
anyone have any ideas/plans/experience with something like this?
[:)
nyazzip
KT88

Re: speaker stands

Postby Ty_Bower » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:38 pm

nyazzip wrote:i'd like to make some DIY speaker stands...
anyone have any ideas/plans/experience with something like this?

I'd be ashamed to show you my speaker stands. People will start poking fun at my 2x4 construction techniques again. (lol)
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby nyazzip » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:53 pm

oh come on, its the concept i care about, not the execution! you should see my a25s, they are primered white then half sanded down. never got around to finishing them
nyazzip
KT88

Postby Geek » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:57 pm

I use thin, tall (4') Wal-Mart melamine coated book shelves for stands.... the kitten can't get her claws into the melamine ;)
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:11 pm

When I first built my Madisound BK-16 BLH's , I used a pair of cheap crappy bookshelf speakers (that I found at the town dump), laying on their backs, as speaker stands, they were just the right size and height, and they definitely performed far better as stands than they did as speakers (lol)

I didn't bother bringing them to NC, they returned to the same dump where I found them...

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby nyazzip » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:26 pm

hmm so you guys don't seem too worried about vibration and "bass coupling" and all that jazz. i suppose that only matters at extreme volumes, which the st-35 is incapable of anyway
:))
nyazzip
KT88

Postby Hotsauce » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:56 pm

I've seen stands made from 4" pvc fittings.

4" pipe, and a closet flange for top and bottom.

Fill with hilti foam if vibration is an issue.

John
Hotsauce

Postby Geek » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:06 pm

nyazzip wrote:hmm so you guys don't seem too worried about vibration and "bass coupling" and all that jazz.

The cabinets are supposed to be internally braced enough that vibration and bass coupling is moot.

If they vibrate or couple, take a hammer to them and start over or if commercial, return them as defective/inferior ;)

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby Ty_Bower » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:47 pm

nyazzip wrote:extreme volume, which the st-35 is incapable

It's not the amp that defines volume, but rather the speaker. To get "extreme", you either require high efficiency or high power handling. Once you pass 100 dB/w, everything you thought you knew was wrong. It's a pity that today's modern speakers are designed with such complex crossovers that are really aligned more towards solid state amplifiers where the designer thinks he can deliver hundreds of clean and proper watts.
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Return to loudspeakers