Bose Interaudio 2000 bookshelf speakers

the weakest link we love so much

Bose Interaudio 2000 bookshelf speakers

Postby nyazzip » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:02 pm

i picked up a very clean pair of these 2-way speakers at a thrift shop for $5 USD about two years ago, and never really used them till the past few nights. they are front ported, with a 6" woofer, 70 watts RMS, and, most shockingly, "Made In USA".... (lol) anyway i am impressed, they put out some good tight balanced sounding bass, at very low volumes, which is my only occasional complaint with my st-35.
as far as sensitivity goes, i can detect about as much hum as i can with my much more expensive klipsh speakers that are rated at 96db spl(if the "program" volume is very low, and my ear is 12" from the speaker, i can hear some transformer hum), for what that is worth.
i guess my only criticism at this point is, they sound maybe just a tad dull/lifeless/or "overstuffed"....in other words "scooped", not as much mid presence as i am used to. BUT i can't detect any boomy cabinet resonance either, which is usually a big problem with cheapo bookshelf speakers.
i'd definitely pay $20-30 for a set knowing what i know now, IF i was in the market for some cheap bedroom/shop speakers....and no, i am not trying to inflate the market to unload mine :))

.......by the way, does anyone think maybe pulling some insulation out of the boxes might yield a bit more desirable midrange? i may try that somewhere down the road
<i>the poor craftsman blames his tools</i>
nyazzip
KT88

Postby kheper » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:03 am

To increase the mid (and high) at the expense of big bass, you could reverse the wires on the black/red terminals on one of the speakers.

To add to your good, inexpensive bookshelf speaker theme, I got 2 Baby Advent II speakers for cheap. They need re-foamed, however.
kheper
KT88

Postby nyazzip » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:08 am

i just reversed polarity on one speaker...i figured it would completely wipe out midrange and make the speakers sound even more dead, but i think it did have the effect you described. however it is still "uncomfortable" sounding even from a distance....that "hollowed out skull" feeling... (lol). guess i should play with separation a bit.
since i wrote that "review" i am even happier with these little speakers...
nyazzip
KT88

Postby nyazzip » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:18 am

just swapped back the Dynaco a25s and i noticed immediately i had to turn up the volume to get the same(very low!) bedroom listening level.
but the bass is improved a bit as well, so i attribute the knob turning to the "big" 10 inch Dynacos sucking up more juice than the Boses, rather than an efficiency difference....?
i dunno these Bose 2000s seem to give the a25 a run for the money, for quiet listening, and they are half the size.....think i'm going to make a "speaker A/B/C/D" switch this winter, and get to the bottom of some of this....
nyazzip
KT88

Return to loudspeakers