Realistic Nova-10s

the weakest link we love so much

Realistic Nova-10s

Postby EWBrown » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:12 pm

So, I go to this church benefit auction this afternoon, and looked over all the goodies up for sale. Unfortunately, there was absolutely no tube stuff :'(

Only thing that really caught my eye was a "table lot" which included a pair of very clean Realistic Nova-10s, which look very suspiciously like some Pioneer speakers that I remember seeing and listening to, at a friend's house, back in the early 1970s, the white speaker cone is a dead give-away.

They look just like these ones:

Those aren't mine, I just "borrowed" the pic from diyaudio :/

These have the white 8 inch woofer, an 8 inch passive radiator and a 2 inch cone tweeter. Rated at 8 ohms and 50 watts max. The surrounds, fortunately are not the miserable "rotten foam" type, these look still as good as new

This was the next to last "lot" to be offered up, and along with the two speakers, was a Delphi XM radio home setup, including the receiver, two antennas, a home docker and a "boom box" docker, the necesary AC adaptors, it was only missing the remote control (no problem I already have one for my existing Delphi home XM radio system). I bough the Delphi "car kit" at a flea a few years ago, and now I finally have a use for it O:)

Well, a few more boxes of stuff got added to the lot, so I ended up with about 25 pounds of solid brass hardware, a Woodtek pneumatic nail gun, along with nearly a lifetime supply of the "special" nails for it, a bunch of antique hand tools, two rolls of Kester solder, a Sharp cassette recorder deck and a Panasonic "all in one" small stereo system, including the cutest little turntable I've ever seen, which is built into the top. oh, yeah, and a miniature, carefully machined brass spittoon about 3 inches high. :/ (???)

The bid opened at $40, my hand shot up like a Nike missile, and one other guy slowly and kinda shyly raised his. the bid incrememted to $45, he chickened out, and I was the winner :))

The tools and brass hardware were a pleasant unexpected surprise, and the Panasonic "system" is just so much extra ballast, but if the AM/FM tuner works, and it doesn't sound too crappy, I'll make it a "garage system" , otherwise it will go to the next auction, rummage sale, or donated to the thrift shop.

I got back home kinda late and after unloading the "treasures" from the car, I decided that I'll try the speakers out next week. The XM radio system does work, that was a really quick test to set up and run, though it is inactivated, and receives only the "barker" channel, which is also used to activate it. At least I know that it isn't DOA..

I'll use it to replace the aging and flakey Sony XM radio I have in the car, it is starting to have too many "near-death" experiences =:o =:o

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby EWBrown » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:15 pm

The newly acquired XM radio system works great, I called up XM, and had them "retire" my old and occasinally flakey-acting Sony XM radio I had in the car, and to activate the Delphi. Only took about 15 minutes on the phone, until it was activated and playing vey nicely [:) Best thing of all, it didn't cost me anything extra, since I was just changing from one radio t another.

Just as an interesting "experiment" I will keep the Sony unpowered for a few months, and then see if it still works (just how often do they send out "radio kill codes" anyway) (???)

I suspect that the "flakiness" of the Sony radio is simply a matter of cleaning the contacts which connect to the car docker.

The service rep was just about the best and nicest I've ever encountered, anywhere - even though XM has had a somewhat bad public relations image in the recent past, it appears that they may have corrected their PR issues.

With the extra dockers, I can now have XM in thr house and/ or in either of my two vehicles, as the two receivers are identical models.

/ed
Last edited by EWBrown on Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby mashaffer » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:50 pm

As we say over on another beloved forum. Scroe!

I have always regretted selling my Nova 6s. Nice haul for so little money.

mike
mashaffer

Postby Geek » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:29 pm

Great find, Ed! (y)

A number of people I know drop Visiton's in there if the stock ones have foam rot (luckily, yours don't).

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:12 am

I've read that the best, most effective upgrade for the Nova-10s is to simply replace the tweeter's crossover cap from the rather noxious "non polarized" electrolytic to a film cap.

I've got various values of decent quality film caps "up the kazoo" from 0.1 uF to 47 uF so I should not have t actually spend anything (other than some time) on performing this upgrade.

/ed B
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Return to loudspeakers