Cabinet Dimensions for 12" Speaker?

the weakest link we love so much

Cabinet Dimensions for 12" Speaker?

Postby TheNewSteveH » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:21 am

I am new here. I came across the forum yesterday while researching DIY tube amps. A friend of mine is an excellent blues guitarist, and he's giving me lessons, and in return, I'm letting him use my tools to build amps.

I have a little experience with electronics (solid state only). I have a physics degree, and I took two fairly basic courses. After that I built current and temperature controllers for diode lasers. That was a long time ago, however, and now I don't remember all that much! But I can solder things together and read a schematic.

My friend wants to build a Super Reverb clone. I figured I should start with a smaller project, to get warmed up. I like low-volume playing, so I decided to try a Firefly.

I have a 12" speaker ordered, and I would like to go ahead and start on the cabinet. Problem: I have no idea what the interior dimensions have to be. It's a 12" Weber ceramic signature speaker. I don't know what the actual outer diameter is, or how deep the box has to be, or what diameter the hole in the front of the cabinet should have.

Any tips?

Thanks.
TheNewSteveH

Postby mesherm » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:58 am

Mike's N-1 Rule: When looking for N number of components to finish a job, you have a 95% chance of only finding N-1 of them.
mesherm
KT88

Postby TheNewSteveH » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:37 pm

Thanks.

Found an online spec sheet for a Jensen that has the same dimensions, so I'm on my way.
TheNewSteveH

Postby Hotsauce » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:43 pm

The volume of the cabinet will change how the speaker sounds. I prefer the sound of a sealed box, but volume, music style, and the placement of the cab in the room all influence this.

I measured the Marshall 4x12 cabinet(my sound role model), and divided the total volume by 4.

This gives me an internal box volume of 1.4 cuft for a single 12" The guitar speakers I've built are close to this.

You might ask Weber what box volume they recommend for their speaker.

John C.
Hotsauce

Postby TheNewSteveH » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:04 pm

Thanks again.
TheNewSteveH

Postby nyazzip » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:55 am

marshall never did enclosure volume calcs...all guitar manufacturers did was use the smallest basic enclosure, to minimize cost/size/weight, and designed with the understanding that gear was to be schlepped around constantly.
cab size matters very little with open backed/combo type rigs, and guitar in general, which occupies only a small portion of the "hi-fi" spectrum anyway
<i>the poor craftsman blames his tools</i>
nyazzip
KT88

Return to loudspeakers