Characterizing speakers

the weakest link we love so much

Characterizing speakers

Postby dhuebert » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:15 am

I read a good article on the internet a couple of years ago about characterizing speakers. It was pretty cool, you needed a signal generator, a resistor and a quarter to work out the impedance and resonance points. Have any of you seen this article? I can't seem to find it. I have a couple of 15" speakers and I would like to design a good box for a bass player friend.

Don
dhuebert
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:40 pm

To me, the science and philosophy of speaker system design is somewhat mysterious and arcane, I really don't fully know or understand the terminology of speakerology. I just experiment blindly, and if it sounds good, I'm happy, and if it doesn't, well, then it's back to the drawing board...

What is the function of the quarter? Perhaps as an added mass for the woofer cone?

I remember my Dad doing some similar experiments back in the late 1960s with various woofers and added small weights - he is gone, but I still have his test results stashed away, I'll dig them up out of the archives and see what they have to say.

Next year ;) (lol)

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby mesherm » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:19 pm

When we spot check our vibration machine (which is just a huge tube amp and speaker), we place a copper penny on the vibration head. When the penny starts to bounce the machine is producing 1 G.
Mike's N-1 Rule: When looking for N number of components to finish a job, you have a 95% chance of only finding N-1 of them.
mesherm
KT88

Postby Geek » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:13 pm

-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:59 am

I used this article: The Impedance Measuring Faq

This one is not a complete Thiele-Small procedure - just AC sweep with 1k resistor test.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Return to loudspeakers