Electro-Voice & Lincoln Loudspeaker Drivers

the weakest link we love so much

Electro-Voice & Lincoln Loudspeaker Drivers

Postby nineno » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:13 pm

Hey Forum -
A co-worker and friend of mine approached me the other day at work about some vintage hardware that he recently acquired.

Like so much good old hardware, these speaker components have been carefully resting in a basement for a few decades. The speaker surrounds and spiders are all completely intact. He's going to inspect them more fully, but in the mean time, I told him I'd ask a few questions here.

The components are mounted on a simple plywood baffle without an enclosure. The parts are:
- Electro-Voice T35 rectangular horn (rated from 3500Hz to 19kHz originally)
- Electro-Voice SP12B full-range 12" (rated ~40Hz to 13kHz originally)
- Electro-Voice X36 crossover (3500Hz crossover at 12dB/octave)

The other speaker baffle is identical, except the full-range driver. The SP12B has been replaced by a Lincoln Loudspeaker (Chicago, IL firm) 12" driver.

I have found a lot of good info on the EV hardware on the Telex corporate website. I have the original data sheets and so forth, so I don't need too much technical information. I would appriciate a little guidance on where I might find more information on the Lincoln Loudspeaker, though. I'd also like to know if anyone has any personal opinions on these components. Are they worth working with? Are they worth much to anyone?

If they're good units, my friend would certainly consider building new enclosures for them and trying to get some real use out of them. He's in a little Jazz quartet, and he thought it might be fun to build up some folded horn PA speakers with these. They'd only ever be responsible for vocals and instrument solos....and they'd never be used in a big venue: Small bars and clubs where high SPLs would be frowned on, not welcome.

(If he went this route with the speakers, he'd get a matching SP12B or new production 12" driver, rather than continue with the mis-matched 12" units.)

Do you think these old parts are up to the task, or would they be underwhelming and poor sounding?

Any thoughts or suggestions on use would be appreciated. Thanks guys!
nineno

Postby battradio » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:46 am

If he was going to use them , in that mannor he should buy a couple of 6HD horns and drivers and go 3 way with a small folded horn such as an EV eliminator . The cossover for the horn is an 8x
Mark
battradio
KT88

Return to loudspeakers