Latest on La Scala Restoration

the weakest link we love so much

Latest on La Scala Restoration

Postby SDS-PAGE » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:24 am

Here are some before and after pictures:

http://www.tubeaudiolab.com/id120.html

I just gotta glue on a pair of Klipsch emblems and 4th coat of tung oil on one of the speakers then I will be done with these. Recapping the crossover made a big difference. Not too shabby for a garage system. :))

Min
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Postby Ty_Bower » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:17 am

Nice looking work there, Min. What did you use to recap the crossovers? I'm thinking my Chorus could use some of the same kind of treatment.
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby SDS-PAGE » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:51 pm

My crossovers are the original AAs. Very minimalistic with only three caps on each. I used ASC oil-filled caps from Allied Electronics and NOS Russian PIO caps that I had in my parts bin. Don't know if it makes any difference to use oil in crossovers, but I used them anyway since they were cheap. The biggest difference was the bass. There is more of it and it got a bit tighter.

Min
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Postby Slartibartfast » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:41 am

SDS-PAGE wrote:My crossovers are the original AAs. Very minimalistic with only three caps on each. I used ASC oil-filled caps from Allied Electronics and NOS Russian PIO caps that I had in my parts bin. Don't know if it makes any difference to use oil in crossovers, but I used them anyway since they were cheap. The biggest difference was the bass. There is more of it and it got a bit tighter.

Min

Very nice job Min.

I have thought of freshening up my LaScalla crossovers, but, I think I am going to convert them to Type A network. That puts one less cap in line with the tweeter. I also thought of changing the tap on the autoformer to reduce the level on the midrange. To do this though, requires adding a 25 ohm resistor in parallel with the midrange input, to retain the proper crossover point.
Slartibartfast
KT88

Return to loudspeakers