Postby nyazzip » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:15 pm

did you check out the capacitors on his 300b...? wow
http://vincent.brient.free.fr/SE300B_eng.htm
<i>the poor craftsman blames his tools</i>
nyazzip
KT88

Re: speakers on a grand scale

Postby jukingeo » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:14 am

EWBrown wrote:These must be the perfect match for those tiny contest amplifiers:

http://vincent.brient.free.fr/bass_horn.htm

Vincent Brient in France has a rather unique creation:

/ed B

Wow! That IS a bit overkill for a home scenario. Usually I have seen theatres with large horns like this. The problem with this set up though is that horns need a BIG room. I been working with theatre sound and horns before and you DO need to get some distance out in front of the horn to hear it properly.

I had a small night club contact me in regards to a bass problem they had. They were using 'W' folded horns for their bass and they had a pretty small 40 x 40 dance space. You FELT the bass, but didn't hear it too well. Yet, the bass in the lobby AND even outside the club was overwhelming.

I noticed this effect when setting up theatre sound systems in which standing right in front of the horn, you don't hear much in terms of bass, but you FEEL the pressure. But then get about 20 feet or so back from the horn and you are blown away by the bass.

It has to do with the wavelength. I am not an engineer, BTW. But while this guy seemed to know his stuff in terms of horn construction, I think he overlooked the fact that his space is probably too small for a horn of that size to be effective.

Now if you have a 40 or 50 foot (+) long room...then yeah, a large horn would probably work nice.

For those of you that have the larger Klipsch horn speakers probably noticed this effect too and that they sound better in a larger room.

To me, what this guy did is clearly overkill for this application. But I think he could make a nice pair of horns for the local theatre!

Geo
Exit Light, Enter Night, Take My Hand...We're off to Never Never Land.
jukingeo

Postby Pyre » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:29 am

Wow, that is a serious set up. I would be afraid my cat would crawl in there and come out scrambled. (sick)
Pyre

Postby jukingeo » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:17 pm

Pyre wrote:Wow, that is a serious set up. I would be afraid my cat would crawl in there and come out scrambled. (sick)

Quite right. When I was setting up horns for a school one time and I leaned against the front of the horn (to reach something over to the stagehands) while it was almost at full power, I could see (and feel) the air pressure move my pant legs.

One time a nutball of a videographer, decided to set up his camera right next to a horn. Naturally the bass output 'shook' the video image on his camera.

So horns can pack a punch. While my examples were of a 1200watt amplifier on a set of 4 18" Cerwin Vega L36P folded horns, it is still not a good idea to have a pet crawl into a horn even on a 10 watt system. I have seen some very well designed horns that can hit 110db spl at 1w/1m. That could certainly damage a pet's hearing if they actually got into the speaker.

I do have to give kudos to this fellow's crafsmanship. If I had a theatre with mostly wooden accents, I certainly would like this guy to make a set of horns for me!

For the average home though a much smaller folded horn that takes up much less space can still work wonders.

Geo
Exit Light, Enter Night, Take My Hand...We're off to Never Never Land.
jukingeo

Concrete anyone?

Postby hembrook » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:19 am

Somewhere once long ago, I remember seeing somebody who had engineered his horns into the floor of his home, with the drivers above ground and in a closet, feeding concrete horns that wre poured as part of the slab! The mouths of the horns exited at floor level on eitherside of the listening area. That is dedication!
hembrook

re:

Postby johnsonfredral » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:04 am

thanks for sharing :)

Cabinet makers
johnsonfredral

Postby Geek » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:14 pm

First time I see this pic Image

That's... either brilliant or absolute lunacy Image

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Re: Concrete anyone?

Postby Ty_Bower » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:44 pm

hembrook wrote:Somewhere once long ago, I remember seeing somebody who had engineered his horns into the floor of his home, with the drivers above ground and in a closet, feeding concrete horns that wre poured as part of the slab! The mouths of the horns exited at floor level on eitherside of the listening area. That is dedication!

You must be referring to Roberto Delle Curti's "Varese", the largest (?) subwoofer in the world.

http://www.royaldevice.com/la%20repubblica-eng.htm
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Return to loudspeakers