wiring up a foamy 4x12"

the weakest link we love so much

wiring up a foamy 4x12"

Postby nyazzip » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:38 pm

i'm making a somewhat temporary 4 x 12" speaker box. i had the brainstorm this winter to make one out of "Foamular" foam insulation...you know, the rigid pink stuff made by Dow-Corning, to insulate houses? i'm just goofing around.
it should weigh about a tenth of what a standard 4x12 cab weighs, i figure. i don't intend to bring it on an international stadium tour, so it ought to stay together for a few hours at least. i'm VERY curious to hear how it sounds...heh heh
here's the issue: i have three 8 ohm speakers, and one 4 ohm speaker to use.
i calculated that a series/parallel wiring scenario would produce a 6.8 ohm speaker box.
is there any way to get a nice clean 4 or 8 number? if not, it should be kosher to use the amplifier's 8 ohm tap to power the "6.8 ohm" cabinet.... right...? also these are low powered speakers, some maybe as low as 8 or 10 watts each. will the oddball speaker drink up more juice than the other 8 ohm speakers? Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_07
the caulking ought to be hard by tomorrow
<i>the poor craftsman blames his tools</i>
nyazzip
KT88

Postby Geek » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:47 pm

Hi,

We had a thread on Guitars Canada about this... you can't mix different ohms without one speaker hogging more power. One guy ended up with a dead speaker in an attempt.

They need to be all the same ohms for round ohm number and full power capability.

Cheers!
Last edited by Geek on Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby nyazzip » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:30 pm

well, i'm gonna try it out anyway i guess. i don't plan on cranking it, i just want to hear some big full sounds. i made a mistake, i actually have three 4 ohms and one 8 ohm. same problem, different values
nyazzip
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:47 am

You can connect an 8 ohm (or 10 ohm) 25W (or greater)resistor across the 8 ohm speaker, to make it look like 4 ohms, then connect the speakers in series-parallel for 4 ohms total.

THe 8 ohm speaker (and resistor) will be less loud than the other three, but it will work well enough.

If anything this will be a good test the foam box's rigidity and strength :o

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby nyazzip » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:46 pm

ain't she a beaut. doesn't sound too bad, maybe a lil upper-midrangey. i question the SPL ratings of those 40 year old speakers though, seems a bit quiet, which is ok, because i can open up the amps a bit more than normal. they also have lackluster bass response. again no surprise
the final impedance using (3) 4 ohm speakers with (1) 8 ohm in series parallel is just over 4 ohms. close enough for rock and roll
if i end up liking it i might cover it in some fake brick paneling i saw at a home improvement store. now Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_05 that would be goofy lookin...

Last edited by nyazzip on Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nyazzip
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:53 pm

What vintage is that Strat?

Looks nice Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_11

I sold a 1965 vintage Jazzmaster for some "crazy money" last year. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_06 Had it for 40 years (bought it in 1968 for about 5-6% of that it sold for. Better than the Dow-Jones, fer shure Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_01 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_08

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby nyazzip » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:00 pm

What vintage is that Strat?

nothing exotic, it's a 1987. i got it new when i was about 16; i'll never part with it, its been a good friend
nyazzip
KT88

Return to loudspeakers