Klipsch La Scala Speakers

the weakest link we love so much

Klipsch La Scala Speakers

Postby SDS-PAGE » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:08 pm

How much are these anyway? I have a friend who is trying to get rid of these. I think he will take any offer I am willing give him (like 200 bucks or less). The things is though they are as big as mini fridge each. Don't know if I have room for them in my house. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_21
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Postby Ty_Bower » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:47 am

It seems that when they do sell on eBay (which isn't all that often) they'll go for a grand or more, if they're in nice condition.
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby nyazzip » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:23 am

<i>the poor craftsman blames his tools</i>
nyazzip
KT88

Postby JW34 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:40 am

$200!!!!!! I am a big fan of old Klipsch speakers (1995 and older). The La Scala is a great example of the Klipsch Heritage series speaker and shows how good Klipsch "was" before they mass produced speakers. I have heard these speakers and it was a treat. Although I am a firm believer that building your own speakers will out perform mass produced speakers, the La Scala will amaze you.

I say give him $200 if he will let you, and if you decide to sell them, give him the balance of the money. These speakers sell for way more than $200.

Check out the the website:

http://www.klipsch.com/products/discont ... scala.aspx

Jay
JW34

Postby SDS-PAGE » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:41 pm

Ok, so I guess they are worth more than 200 bucks. I just gotta convince my wife that they will not come inside the house. They will be parked in the garage along with my other junk. The garage is only place I have some say in my household. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_05

The cab is a bit beat up though. He would drag them to local talent shows when he performs keyboard + vocal numbers. They look like it would be a simple sanding and refinishing job to get them presentable.

BTW, where exactly is the 15" woofer? I assume it's encased in the folded horn somehow.

Many say that the 'Scalas are a bit bass shy. Is this true? I can't imagine how this would be with the 15" woofer.

Ditto on old Klipsch's. I have a pair of Forte Is that I am very happy with.

Min
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Postby JW34 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:05 pm

I've got Chorus II's and I love them. I had a pair of Forte II's and was suprised at how well they kept up with the Chours's.
As far as the La Scala's go, they are bass shy. Don't know why, but the Klipsch forum has all the answers.

Jay
JW34

Postby DerekVa » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:21 pm

SDS-PAGE wrote:Ok, so I guess they are worth more than 200 bucks. I just gotta convince my wife that they will not come inside the house. They will be parked in the garage along with my other junk. The garage is only place I have some say in my household. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_05

The cab is a bit beat up though. He would drag them to local talent shows when he performs keyboard + vocal numbers. They look like it would be a simple sanding and refinishing job to get them presentable.

BTW, where exactly is the 15" woofer? I assume it's encased in the folded horn somehow.

Many say that the 'Scalas are a bit bass shy. Is this true? I can't imagine how this would be with the 15" woofer.

Ditto on old Klipsch's. I have a pair of Forte Is that I am very happy with.

Min

The woofer is in the middle - it's fully horn-loaded so it is behind the pointy bit in the center of the cabinet. If you can get these for $200, run, don't walk, to your friend's house. And once you get 'em cleaned up, you should replace the Fortes in your main system with the LaScalas.

I'm really jealous. My friends have crappy taste in hardware.

-D
DerekVa

Postby DerekVa » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:22 pm

JW34 wrote:I've got Chorus II's and I love them. I had a pair of Forte II's and was suprised at how well they kept up with the Chours's.
As far as the La Scala's go, they are bass shy. Don't know why, but the Klipsch forum has all the answers.

Jay

Known issue. LaScalas have the sweet midrange and highs. The Cornwalls have the bass. Some people combine them into a 'Cornscalia'. But get a good subwoofer and you should have no problem with the LaScalas.

-D
DerekVa

Postby SDS-PAGE » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:39 am

Before I jump into getting these, I have been doing some thinking about which direction I want to go. I want to explore the possibility of trying low efficiency speakers (like planar speakers such as Quad and Martin Logans) driven by high power PP amps. I am pretty happy with my Fortes as far as SET-driven systems. It sounds like it'd be fun to have a second system that is entirely different. Has anyone tried driving planars with tubes?

Min
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Postby Ty_Bower » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:54 pm

SDS-PAGE wrote:Has anyone tried driving planars with tubes?

I took a pair of Mk3 over to skidave's house and hooked them up to his Magnepans. I'll let Dave speak for himself, but I thought they sounded pretty good. I wouldn't mind at all if Dave decided to give his Magnepans to me some day. Of course, he's probably thinking it wouldn't be all bad if I had accidentally left the Mk3 at his place...
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby SDS-PAGE » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:07 pm

Ty, how was the bass with those Magnepans? I see many using a sub with planars. Min
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Postby Ty_Bower » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:13 pm

I was expecting it to need a sub too. Dave has a fairly large DIY sub with a lot of solid state amp behind it. I asked him to turn the sub off, and I was pleasantly surprised by the quantity and quality of the bass out of the Magnepans. I'm not a bass nut, so others might feel differently. He did explain that the panel does have a limited amount of excursion capability, and if you try to drive it hard you'll get a weird kind of distortion when it hits the limit. I don't think there is any danger of damaging the thing, it just begins to sound obviously overloaded.
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby SDS-PAGE » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:57 pm

My friend gave me those la scalas for free today. He just wanted to get rid of them to make more room for his fishing boat in his garage. :))

They are not without dings and scratches all over the place, but I think it will be fun to veneer and stain them to make them presentable. Until then it will play music in my garage.

Min
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:14 am

Are these black and wheeled PA speakers? Or Baltic Birch? I would *love* to have a pair, but settled for Chorus IIs. Klipsch rocks. Perfect for sub 10W SET amps!

Min - email me your address. I'll send you a 'Bullshit' button that I received from Klipsch's grandson.
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby SDS-PAGE » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:47 am

Hi Shannon,

Mine seem to be the earlier version of La Scalas. They have no grilles. They are wood all around in Baltic Birch. No wheels, even though I'd like to install a set. I hooked up my WE91A-2A3 that put out 4.5 wpc today, I was immediately impressed with the SPL. Lots of output! I get that 'live concert' feel through these.

I will PM my mailing address. BTW, what the 'BS' button from Klisch's grandson? Whatever it is it sounds cool! Thanks!

Min
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Next

Return to loudspeakers