aqua speakers, patent pending

the weakest link we love so much

aqua speakers, patent pending

Postby nyazzip » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:32 pm

...the idea for hi-fi speakers is to make the box walls as dense and thus non-resonant as possible, right? i'm sure stone or concrete could be used, but who would want to move those around? solid 1" slab exotic hardwoods would be nice too, but again, heavy, and also very costly.
i was in the shower awhile ago and i thought: why not make the box walls out of double walled, injection molded plastic, similar to a coleman camping cooler or what have you...? near the bottom would be a drain plug, and on the top, a filler cap.
so when the speakers are shipped to you they are featherlight; you open up the cap and fill em up with tap water. voila: a heavy, dense, non-resonant speaker box, that is very cheap, and very lightweight on moving day(drain em)!
i figured at 1 gram per cc they'd be denser than almost all woods(some very hard woods sink in water), and if you made the wall cavities 2" thick, it would be solid as a rock...
the drivers would screw in like any other speaker. the inside of the cabinet could be braced and tuned like any other cabinet.
what say... should i patent it? Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_16
<i>the poor craftsman blames his tools</i>
nyazzip
KT88

Postby Geek » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:59 pm

Sorry to be a downer, but...

1) Anything with water unless hermetically sealed around electrical equipment (especially high voltage tube amps) is bad karma. I doubt you'd ever get CSA/UL approval, let alone CE.

2) Water is an excellent transmitter of sound, not an absorber, reflector or transforming (into heat, like Sorbothane). Wale songs can be recorded 5,000 miles away from the pod.

Unless I misunderstand your design..

But it is an interesting idea :)

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby nyazzip » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:45 pm

man, you're bumming me out.
...wine, then?
nyazzip
KT88

Postby Geek » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:30 am

Wine? That's the keyword to get me running Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_16

/me brings expensive cheese
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby snitch56 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:16 am

Water works well as an acoustic couplant. We use it extensively in the nondestructive evaluation industry to get sound waves into materials. Attenuation of longitudinal waves in water is low. With that said, I think you could substitute the water with sand in your design. Loose dry sand will work as an absorber of the acoustic energy.
snitch56

Postby nyazzip » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:55 pm

Water works well as an acoustic couplant. We use it extensively in the nondestructive evaluation industry to get sound waves into materials. Attenuation of longitudinal waves in water is low. With that said, I think you could substitute the water with sand in your design. Loose dry sand will work as an absorber of the acoustic energy.

yes, but does a liquid couple acoustic waves to a gas(ie the air)?
i remember spending lots of time in the pool as a kid, and i remember being intrigued how i could hear high frequencies very well under water, even sorta feel the sounds in my abdomen, like my fingernails clicking against stuff, or a coin scraping the bottom of the pool, etcetera. guess thats why cetacean sonar works so well under water, and ultrasonic jewelry cleaning.
i thought of the sand idea, but that would be too impractical...
the water thing isn't an idea that could exactly be easily "prototyped", either. oh well.
nyazzip
KT88

Postby soundbrigade » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:13 pm

Isn't water used to couple the HF-vibrations from that ultrasonic tool that zaps plaque from your teeth ( :o )
Magnus

"It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge."
soundbrigade
KT88

Postby SDS-PAGE » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:37 pm

Isn't water used to couple the HF-vibrations from that ultrasonic tool that zaps plaque from your teeth ( Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_10 )

When I was an undergrad I was in charge of a research that was funded by Philips Healthcare for their Sonicare tooth brush. The research involved looking at the CFU (colony forming units) reduction of planktonic Porphyromonas gingivalis (anaerobic bacteria that cause severe gum diseases) using acoustic energy.

Attached to the acoutic energy generator, there was a cylinder whose freq of vibration I could control from 50 Hz to 20 kHz. I could only get a couple of log reductions above 10 kHz. Since Sonicare brushes at 1 kHz, the freq didn't generate high enough acoustic energy for bactericidal activities. It was however good enough to break young biofilms on teeth (any mechanical action will to the same).

So they couldn't make the claim that the vibration of their sonic brushes could kill bacteria. Anyhoo, the interesting thing was that I was able to hook up my iPod to the sonic freq generator. I wanted to see what Artist had most bactericidal effect. I had the most killing with U2. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_03
SDS-PAGE
KT88

which flash cart do you like most for your Nintendo DS DSL

Postby mnop123 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:35 am

there are many flash carts for Nintendo DS/DSL, such as AK2Image, DSTTImage, R4, EDGE, EZ, M3 ... etc, which one do you like best for your NDS/NDSL?
mnop123

Return to loudspeakers