IKEA DIY Speakers?

the weakest link we love so much

IKEA DIY Speakers?

Postby Shannon Parks » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:51 am

After building several Fira mini-chests - received as a tube storage gift at Christmas - I'm wondering if anyone has figured out a good Ikea product to mod for speaker enclosures. I think the possibility is there for some neat ideas like bookshelf horn loaded speakers, eg. Any geniuses out there got some ideas?
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby Shannon Parks » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:09 pm

The last link reminds me of fire hydrants - in a kinda cool way. Thanks for the links, Quad!
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

On the fence...

Postby EWBrown » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:58 am

I'd thought of building up some cheap, down-sized knockoffs of Doc Bottlehead's "Straifght Eights" using 8 small (4 inch or less) Tang Band FR drivers, and a small dome treeter in each of the "cabs" made from PVC hollow fence post.

/ed B

(OK, don't stare at that "Stuff " magazine cover for too long, else you may get crosseyed) Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_09 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_08 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_04
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby lth1 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:23 pm

One of the best budget speakers I have ever listen to is the ZigmaHornet with Merrill drivers. You can build a pair of these for less money that anything from Ikea. The drivers have gone up, but I built mine for less than $100 with drivers.

The enclosed picture is the Hornet's with my GSG Base; 6moons.com has a wonder review of the ZigmaHornets.

http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/i/f/1193081848.jpg
lth1

Postby Shannon Parks » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:51 pm

Thanks, guys!
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby Geek » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:16 pm

#1 looks like something the Blue Man Group has used on stage :)

That one with the spiral horn - they work! Heard one (spiral loaded that is) at the 2006 Raw Acoustics fest and the smallest speaker unit won a prize for biggest sound from a small box Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_12

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Return to loudspeakers