Thrift shop speakers-any good?

the weakest link we love so much

Thrift shop speakers-any good?

Postby pto892 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:31 am

I picked up a pair of Montgomery Ward "Airline" series speakers yesterday for $3 apiece at the local Goodwill-I was originally attracted to the well built cabinets thinking I would gut them and get some new drivers from Parts Express or the like. The particulars are Japanese built, 20W, with an 8 inch woofer and 3 1/2 inch tweeter. I can't get the grills off, so once home I pulled off the back of one and found out it has Foster drivers with a single cap acting as a high pass crossover for the tweeter. What the heck, I hook them up to my Darling and find out that they sound pretty good-in fact somewhat better than I could have expected. It's the 8 inch driver that is interesting, I can't find anything using Google on it but it's a Foster 20E33 with what appears to be a large open frame (alnico?) magnet on it. I need to get the grills off or pull it out the back to see if it is a whizzer style speaker but I'm wondering if it's a full range speaker coupled up to a tweeter. They appear to be in excellent condition-the surrounds are complete, no rips or tears that I can see so maybe I actually got my $3 worth here. Any ideas on where I could find some information on these drivers?
pto892

Re: Thrift shop speakers-any good?

Postby spydertune » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:18 am

pto892 wrote:
Any ideas on where I could find some information on these drivers?

Using the Google only revealed your post and what is likely a fascinating read on using Bayesian probability networks to emulate environmental models for pollution analysis.....

You might try posting at diyaudio.com as there is a very active Foster contingent over there. A picture would be helpful too as your Foster might exist under another designation varying only from yours in input terminal configuration or similar.....maybe.

Or you may just be out of luck.
note to self: hold cold end of soldering iron.
spydertune

Postby Geek » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:43 pm

The Foster/Fostex master - talk to Dave at www.planet10-hifi.com

He goes by Planet10 at diyAudio.com.

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Return to loudspeakers