Economical yet Efficient Bookshelf Speakers? For Teens...

the weakest link we love so much

Economical yet Efficient Bookshelf Speakers? For Teens...

Postby Kojak » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:28 pm

Thinking about a father/son DIY amp project to complete with the kids- something like the Spare Time 6T9, etc. That leaves the question for speakers.

Any opinions on reasonable priced but somewhat efficient bookshelf units? New or used, either is OK. Cost is a factor, unless they are indestructible Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_03 . They prefer rock and dance tunes but also listen to classical a little. Something loud with at least middle of the road sound quality.

Thanks!
Kojak

Postby TomMcNally » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:10 pm

I'd keep an eye out for a pair of Klipsch bookshelf speakers
on eBay. The KSB series are nice ... also 92 db or so efficient.
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Postby Kojak » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:51 am

Thanks-

KSB's look like a great option. I have always liked the RB bookshelf series, but those would be a little high end for the purpose. My main speakers are a set of Klipsch KLF-20's. Other than their size and ultra-low WAF, they are an awesome set of speakers. Several years ago I had the chance to do some work with the Klipsch folks in Arkansas- well run plant, nice people.
Kojak

Postby mesherm » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:16 pm

I have a pair of JBL E50s that I love. Once they broke in they had enough bass for a small apartment. Must be some used ones around somewhere.
Mike's N-1 Rule: When looking for N number of components to finish a job, you have a 95% chance of only finding N-1 of them.
mesherm
KT88

Postby DerekVa » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:01 pm

Klipsch KG 2.2 or KG 2.5 speakers, perhaps? Or RB 15?

Alternately, Axiom Audio M3 speakers, but they won't RAWK as well as the Klipsch.

-D
DerekVa

Postby Kojak » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:33 am

All good suggestions, thanks guys. Saw a nice JBL at a thrift shop, unfortunately no mate- probably why it was donated!
Kojak

Postby chrish » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:10 pm

Do you want to build speakers? I have built two pairs of the mini-fonkens with fostex full range drivers. Pretty cheap and east to build. http://www.planet10-hifi.com/fonken.html
chrish

Postby Kojak » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:50 pm

Very nice- might be something to try later. Some time down the road I would like to make a couple full range DIY speakers. Those look like they have the same range as my smaller Maggies.

For this go-around, I will be teaching my 13 year old and 11 year old (with lots of Dad help) how to solder and wire up a couple Spare Time 6T9 amplifiers for their Boy Scout Electronics merit badge. Once the amps are complete, I think they will be ready to test them right away!
Kojak

Return to loudspeakers