Cerwin Vega D-5 Speakers

the weakest link we love so much

Cerwin Vega D-5 Speakers

Postby rockable » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:15 pm

Ok, my search for some really efficient, but not expensive, speakers to pair up with my ST-70 has led me to examine the D-5's. They look like a great match up. Anyone here got any experience with them? What is the sound quality like? I know they are LOUD.
rockable

Postby erichayes » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:00 pm

There is no such thing as an inefficient Cerwin Vega speaker system. The question is what your musical preferences are.

If you favor classical or acoustic oriented folk/vocal stuff, forget it. Most modern jazz would probably be okay. Heavy metal, synthesized, and other similar rock genres are where CVs shine.

You imply that you prefer efficiency over accuracy, so I'll infer that you lean toward the latter genre; if that's the case, go with the CVs.

If you want an all-around maximum bang for the buck speaker system pair, try to find some first generation Dynaco A-25s.
Eric in the Jefferson State
erichayes
KT88

Postby DerekVa » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:59 pm

Look on Craigslist for Klipsch Heresy or Forte - they are good alternatives and better at handling classical / jazz than the CVs. I've seen them in the $350 - 450 range. Alternately, you could haunt the Goodwill / St. Vincent dePaul / Salvation Army / Value Village stores in your area and look for a bargain. It all depends on how quickly you want to buy speakers.

-D
DerekVa

Postby rockable » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:26 pm

Thanks guys. I do listen to rock, blues and some folk and country. Also, jazz. No classical. No soft rock or pop to speak of.

I have a set of Heresy's in one system in my house and have always loved them. I've also got a set of Advents hooked up to my ST-70 right now that sound pretty good but they really need some more horsepower to get them working in their sweet spot.

If I found a set of Cornwalls, I'd buy them and use the Hersy's with my ST-70 but right now I'm looking for low buck, big bang.

I have a large workshop (30 X30) and I repair tube type guitar amps as a hobby. I built this ST-70 for my shop stereo system and that's what I'm adding it to. It really wouldn't be for critical listening. That's why I was considering the CVs.
rockable

Return to loudspeakers