Horn-loaded Voight Pipe, or similar?

the weakest link we love so much

Horn-loaded Voight Pipe, or similar?

Postby nineno » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:33 am

I've been building a relatively large (7-foot) Ruben's tube (think of it as a spectral display, on fire) using a piece of iron pipe and a compression driver from MCM Electronics.

The compression drivers are fairly inexpensive ($16 - $160) and some have fairly wide frequency response. The $22 unit that I got claims to have response from 100Hz - 8kHz. Even if that's a wild embellishment, I suspect that it's good enough for my Ruben's Tube experiment.

However, while working with the compression driver I realized that there were a few standards for horn/driver attachment. The driver I bought (http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/54-050) has a 1 3/8" x 18 TPI threaded end, but there are other thread interface sizes as well as a few 4-bolt patterns.

All of this got me wondering if there were any workable plans for coupling a compression driver to some type of Voight pipe or folded horn to couple the compact driver to a very large (but well packaged) impedance matching horn.

This might be a fool's errand; please feel free to tell me if it is.

I just thought it might be another unique DIY speaker opportunity, and the common driver interfaces would allow for very quick swapping of drivers.

Thoughts?
nineno

Return to loudspeakers