Speaker hungry

the weakest link we love so much

Speaker hungry

Postby soundbrigade » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:57 am

For too long I've been too focused on tubes, though there's a line of misfortunes (catastrophies that is) and small incidents (accidents) that should have getting me off the vacuum trail, but idiots are always tending to repeat the same mistake Just a few days ago I dropped ( Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_21 ) a EL156 from 3" height onto the table top, when setting up my SE-amp för a DIY-meeting in Gothenburg, Sweden.

However during the same meeting I finally managed to get some time to show and play my newly "finished" horn speakers, the Hungry ones, where Hungry eigentlich means Hungarian.... and people who listened was very surprised that those sleek speakers played so nice. And didn't they cost more than that??? I was stunned myself, I have to say.

I spotted a speaker manufacturer in Hungary and was really thrilled by their fullrange speakers, but it two years before I finally got my ass of the waggon , order a pair of 144mm chassis and some MDF from the local store and just in time for the yearly DIY-summit I had them almost finished, though the finish wasn't finish, so to speak.

About the speakers:
They are made by Sonido in Budapest, Hungary and the model I choose was the SFR144.
The costed me some EUR 180 incl shipping to Sweden. I had the speakers in three days, whereas Istvan Varga of Sonido recieved the money (electronic bank transfer) after 5 days Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_20 .
There's a drawing of a nice and slender backloaded horn for this fullranger on the Sonido website, but together with the chassis I got a drawing for a enhanced design. There was also screws, bolts, wool and speaker terminals with the shipment - that's always appreciated.

Have to start on a wedding dress - promised to sew a dress for my son's girlfriend, they are getting married this summer.

You can have a look at the pile of MDF. Some pieces were not cut accordning to my list - no big catastrophe but still annoying. More pictures to follow. I will do some final painting this coming Wednesday.

Some stuff (in Swedish, with photos) from the DIY-meeting:
http://www.hififorum.nu/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=68130
http://www.faktiskt.se/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=23094
Magnus

"It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge."
soundbrigade
KT88

Postby soundbrigade » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:05 am

Here's a shot from the production. I was using PU-glue and no screws or nails. On the other hand I was taking evening classes in woodworking and had access to a workshop with all kinds of tools and instruments. The second box was assembled at home using screws and PVA-glue. The rersult was slightly worse.

This the 1.1 version. There's a 1.2 that looks very much the same, but I managed to order material before I knew there was an updated design.

I hate getting that glue on my fingers. It takes a week before the last stains disappear.

And here's a close-up of the speaker chassis SFR-144. Note the phase plug in beech!
Magnus

soundbrigade
KT88

Postby soundbrigade » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:21 am

Got my freshly painted boxes home this week.

Magnus

soundbrigade
KT88

Postby WA4SWJ » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:09 am

Hi Magnus,

Very nice! I've built a number of speakers myself, but I have not tried a single, full-range driver design. How do they sound? I know that's subjective, but I've been skeptical of the bass and upper treble response of full-range drivers. That is not based on any experience so I probably don't know what I'm talking about. I have yet to hear speakers such as this.

Hope they work well. They look very good. I like the color very much.

Regards,
Ed Long
WA4SWJ
KT88

Postby Geek » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:03 pm

Wow, very nice!!! Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_02

WA4SWJ wrote:Very nice! I've built a number of speakers myself, but I have not tried a single, full-range driver design.

A nice entry level fullrange - bass and treble aren't a problem with them Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_11

http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=FR125SR
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby soundbrigade » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:07 am

Especially mid and high end are perfect, but still, the chassis are 5 1/2" (something - 144mm) and positioned in a horn so there shouldn't be much below 80 or 100Hz, but I must say I don't lack much there. Maybe because they don't work entirely as horns but a little as 1/4 wavelength pipes, TL and BR they emit low notes as well.

Especially when playing acoustic music, jazz and blues they sound GREAT. Been playing rock with no problem. Maybe I noticed that they sound a bit "crammed" when playing Tschaikovskijs 1st piano concert, but it is hard to say exactly.

Anyway, they replaced my old 3-way (dome + 5" + 6").
Magnus

soundbrigade
KT88

Postby DerekVa » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:17 am

WA4SWJ wrote:Hi Magnus,

Very nice! I've built a number of speakers myself, but I have not tried a single, full-range driver design. How do they sound? I know that's subjective, but I've been skeptical of the bass and upper treble response of full-range drivers. That is not based on any experience so I probably don't know what I'm talking about. I have yet to hear speakers such as this.

Hope they work well. They look very good. I like the color very much.

Regards,

While not a direct analogy to what Magnus has built, I've been extremely happy with a set of ported boxes (using the original Fostex plans) based on the Radio Shack 40-1197 drivers (Radio Shack branded FE-103) as my office system. While they aren't the ideal in all situations, properly leveraged, a single-driver system can work magic.

Before I forget: nice job, Magnus. I especially like the choice of cabinet color.

-D

p.s. I am driving them with tubes (K-502 amplifier) so I'm not a complete whack-job. ;)
DerekVa

Postby soundbrigade » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:14 am

Everything installed, screwed and soldered in place .....

Magnus

soundbrigade
KT88

Postby Geek » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:39 am

Simple, yet regal Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_11

Gorgeous work! I'd definately have a set of those in my home.

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby soundbrigade » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:27 am

Geek wrote:Simple, yet regal Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_11

Gorgeous work! I'd definately have a set of those in my home.

Cheers!

You mean the duck?! Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_05

I had a pair of three-way speakers before (lets see if I have a picture) ... this is maybe of common interest - I put the pics in:
http://www.diytube.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1511.
They are almost the same volume, but the new ones are slimmer.
Magnus

soundbrigade
KT88

Return to loudspeakers