cabinet repairing

the weakest link we love so much

cabinet repairing

Postby K-MAN » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:32 am

I'm enjoying my Dynaco A25 speakers but I've gota do something about the cabinet damage. I got them cheap because the tops have water damage that split the edge seams and had a real sloppy patch up done. Does anyone know how the top panel is connected to the sides? is it just a mitre cut with glue? I've got a sheet of mahogany veneer plywood and I'm wondering if I should try cutting a new top from that and replacing it.

K-MAN

Postby HoMeR » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:51 pm

Why not redo the whole thing !?
Sand of most of the old veneer (remove the nails !) and replace all of it.
They will be looking like new !

Good luck !
My music on "Rate Your Music"
HoMeR

Postby K-MAN » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:56 am

I was thinking I might try repairing the cracked mitre joint with epoxy putty filler and then put new veneer over top of the old all the way around. It's just crummy particle type board underneath so I'm limited in how far i can go.
K-MAN

Postby soundbrigade » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:10 am

One idea to to sand the boxes thoroughly, use 2-component filler and do the job again and paint them:

I have been using a sort of oil which I mix with oil paint in tubes (the artist kind of stuff). Then using a roller painted the boxes.
When dry I take some plastic bags and do my best to crumble them, roll a layer of paint in another hue and cover the boxes with the plastic bag(s) and lightly press it with my hands andthen removing it to get a nice marble like pattern.

Here's a bad shot of my experiment. The gray top speakers are painted in this fashion, whereas the subs are dabbed with a sponge.

Magnus

"It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge."
soundbrigade
KT88

Postby K-MAN » Wed May 07, 2008 3:25 pm

I've filled the split mitre joints with some wood epoxy putty and I plan on sanding the whole cabinet down and refinishing it. The epoxy says it will accept stain so I'm hoping that if I refinish the cabinet the damage will at least be less obvious. I'm just not sure on what finish to use, In the past I've used many coats of wet sanded Danish oil with great results so I might try that. I found that lightly sanding the wet oil into the wood fills the imperfections and makes a almost glass like surface.
K-MAN

cabinet repairing

Postby henrygrik » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:08 am

Hi,
If the upper surface of the speaker have become wet then just let the oil or water be removed first and then paint them with the Denis oil paint of the colour you wish off. If possible colour it with silver black colour it looks cool.
henrygrik

Postby nyazzip » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:06 am

i have a pair of trashed Dynaco a25s that are on a 3 year restoration plan. anyway i had the same problem with the MDF separating at the corners. what i did is rounded off all the edges with a router, then impregnated all the seams/separations with a couple tubes of cyanoacrylate(krazy glue).
should look cool if i ever get around to painting them. there was no hope to stay with the wood veneer look, and i'd rather have them black anyway. i got some nice expensive vintage Marshall style type cloth to do the grills with...
the thing that put me at a standstill was i used some "killz" latex based primer and the stuff does NOT sand. it gums up any sanding discs i put to it within seconds. so eventually i guess i need to strip that junk off and try again >:o
this summer was so cold wet and crappy there was only a handful of days suitable for outdoor sanding/priming/painting, and i'll be damned if i'm going to spend my 4 days of summer sanding and painting ratty old dynacos....
<i>the poor craftsman blames his tools</i>
nyazzip
KT88

re:

Postby johnsonfredral » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:28 am

In making base cabinets for kitchens, the cabinet sides would be cut to 34½ inches, yielding four cabinet side blanks per 4 foot by 8 foot sheet. Using the adjustable feet, the side blanks are cut to 30 inches, thus yielding six cabinet side per sheet.

Cabinet makers
johnsonfredral

Re: re:

Postby elbinster » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:12 am

johnsonfredral wrote:In making base cabinets for kitchens, the cabinet sides would be cut to 34½ inches, yielding four cabinet side blanks per 4 foot by 8 foot sheet. Using the adjustable feet, the side blanks are cut to 30 inches, thus yielding six cabinet side per sheet.

Spambot a little rusty. Needs oil.
elbinster

Return to loudspeakers