Check out some speaker projects I've been working on

the weakest link we love so much

Check out some speaker projects I've been working on

Postby wiredbecker » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:45 pm

I've been pretty busy working on some DIY speaker mods with a local JBL enthusiast named Zilch that I met through the audiokarma.org forums

First up is the Acoustic Research 4...

...modified into a Zilchlabs Research 4

That's a JBL OASR horn coupled with a BMS 4540nd compression driver and a JBL 116h woofer. OASR stands for Optimized Aperture Symmetrical Radiator which feature a dispersion of 100 x 100.

We documented the response curves which I will post later. We're still working on a passive crossover. The sound is amazing!
wiredbecker
KT88

Postby Vince » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:35 pm

Now that looks interesting!!!! You sure have phenomenal luck at that landfill!!!
Vince
Vince

Postby Sal Brisindi » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:17 pm

Nice job on the speakers, if you want to sell the tweeter that came from the AR-4 I will be interested. One of my AR-4's has a corroded tweeter with an open connection to the voice coil.

Sal
Sal Brisindi
KT88

Postby wiredbecker » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:47 pm

Hey Sal,

The tweeter pictured is an identical hole replacement tweeter that I pulled from a pair of junked Bose bookshelves. They ran hot for my liking--I mean really bright. A little twist of the attenuater on the back calmed them down nicely though. They're yours if you want to try them. The way I looked at it, it's better to listen to music than to suffer in silence.

Chris
wiredbecker
KT88

Return to loudspeakers