SAMMI (Korea) 8 inch FR speakers on E-bay

the weakest link we love so much

SAMMI (Korea) 8 inch FR speakers on E-bay

Postby EWBrown » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:08 am

Saw this over at Bottlehead, thought I'd share it here:

8 inch full range "Sammi" brand (Made in Korea) speakers at a pretty cheap unit price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %26fvi%3D1

It's a bit of a funky looking link, but it works for me :o

Never heard of this brand before, so I can't comment pro or con.

An 8 inch speaker with a 2 inch voice coil should be pretty decent, I'd guess...

$14.60 each, plus the usual USPS pParcelPost costs. Seller is located in GA.

/ed B in NH
Last edited by EWBrown on Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby SDS-PAGE » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:07 am

Here is the link to its spec:
http://www.sammisound.com/products/pro/03-16.htm

Here is the history of the company:

http://www.sammisound.com/aboutus/about01.htm

I read in Korean, but you might get it in English w/ your browser.

They have been exporting speakers since 1961. Many Korean speaker makers since the 70's collaborated with the Japanese or other countries, but Sammi kept it 100% local. That could be good or bad.

It's nice to know that there was a company besides Hyundai that helped S. Korean get back on its feet after the war in 1950, however small its contribution might have been...
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:18 pm

The same seller has a few other speakers, Sammi 8 inch, 100watts, 10 inch 100 watts and some 5 inchers, from a US manufacturer.

I always thought that Hyundau just made cars, but then I saw a program on Discovery Channel, about the HUGE diesel ship engines that Hyundai makes, one of these will power a super tanker or container ship, with between 66,000 and 98,000 HP total. The engines are modular, so they can add cylinders (in line) as required.

IIRC, each individual cylinder was good for between 6000 and 8000 HP :o Long stroke, relatively slow RPM, and turning huge propellors.

They also make some of the huge ships that these engines power. Mega-giant scale production :o Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_11

/ed B in NH
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby SDS-PAGE » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:42 pm

Hyundai started as a construction company in 1947. With the govt support over the years, it has become the biggest "chaebol" or conglomerate company in Korea. Hyundai Heavy Industires are the world's biggest shipbuilder (still hold a Guiness book of records for the most # of ships built per day). Hyundai autos are the world's 5th largest automaker. Hynix Semiconductor Inc. (formerly known as Hyuandai electronics) is the world's sixth largest semiconductor company, the world's second-largest maker of memory chips, and the largest share in Chinese market. I hope they do well. I don't want to see any GM-Hyundai like you see GM-Daewoo on the road. Thank goodness Hyundai outbid Ford over Kia Motors in 1998.

Now, only if they would enter the world of tubes...
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:18 am

I just sent off for a couple of these speakers, price is tempty enough....

there ar enow "only" 70 remaining in that lot :o

If they are standard US "8 inch" mounting dimensions, rather than the somewhat larger metric size, then I have a couple of KLH speakers with "bummed out" drivers, I 'll just stick these in, and add a tweeter if needed. If not, then a little wood working will make 'em fit Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_05

/ed B in NH
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby EWBrown » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:15 am

I got the Sammi speakers Tuesday, one was damaged, but it appears that this happened sometime during the initial overseas shipping, and not during USPS shipping, as the USPS box was not at all damaged.

I'll ask the seller for a replacement. The other one looks pretty impressive, at least as nicely maed as Fostex FE206Es, but with a larger 2 inch voice coil and vented / screened opem\ning on the back.
The outer frame diameter is around 8.25 inches and the mounting hole diameter is pretty close to 7.25 inches.

These are nice enough looking (I haven't yet tried them out) that I'll probably go for a couple more, as they are pretty inexpensive, at under $15 each. Even with shipping included that works out to around $21 each.

http://www.sammisound.com/products/pro/03-16.htm

Note that they are rated up to 12KHz, so a supertweet should be used to fill in that last HF octave.

The same seller has another lot of 126 of the 8 inch 50 watters listed, as well as other 8 inch 100 watt and 10 inch drivers.

/ed B
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Return to loudspeakers