recaping speakers?

the weakest link we love so much

recaping speakers?

Postby K-MAN » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:53 pm

I just got a pair of Dynaco A-25's that had some damage to the cabinet so they look ugly but the speakers are in perfect shape. I'm wondering if it's important to replace the caps in the crossovers in speakers this old? If so is there a certain type of cap that would be close to the original?
K-MAN

Postby Quad » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:18 am

The original 'lytics are probably dry now. Recap them to be safe.

Some suitable replacements -

Kimber Kap 5 uF
Auri 5 uF from PE
Solen 5.1uF - PE part number 027-554

Dayton 5.1 uF 250v, 1% caps
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdet ... er=027-232

You could also use 4.7 uf caps.
Quad
KT88

Daytons Bozak

Postby leadtower » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:47 am

I just used Daytons to re-cap my Rhapsody's and they sound very nice. I can't tell what part is the cap sound and what part is the modification of the crossover but whatever it is it worked and the Daytons look very well made for the money. Also I purchased a 3.0 mh 14 gauge choke for the bass leg and the thing was huge! I had to send it back after a month and that included taking all the wrapping off of the unit. Parts Express asked no questions and refunded my money right away. Good place.
leadtower

Postby nyazzip » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:34 pm

based on recommendations here, i decided to go with 4.7 mF caps, which have a slightly lower capacitance value than stock. i have not tried them yet as i am currently ripping the cabs to hell, and sanding em. but, did i err with the 4.7mF cap value? after all the work i am going to put in, it probably wouldn't bother me to go with $30 caps, if it actually made an audible difference....
i'm entering the secondary stages of freakout with my grill cloth order from "Ampwares". its been 9 days, and no sign of action. their phone says the voicemail is full. hmmm.
nyazzip
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:56 am

It's a good idea to replace ANY of the non-polarized electrolytics with equivalent value film caps, the voltage rating can be 250V, I like the Daytons, and Solens, good price / sonic quality improvement ratio.

THose old NP 'lytics were OK for the 60s and 70s, but there is no good reason than sheer penny pinching to use them in this time frame, even modest / cheap speakers will sound better with film crossover caps.

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Ampwares

Postby leadtower » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:25 am

So; I see i am not alone here. I placed an order on the 24th and my e-mail inquiry regrading shipping delays came back unanswered. At this point i don't know if they are still viable. I shoulda stuck with what i know.
leadtower

may the force be with you...

Postby EWBrown » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:41 am

I wonder if "Ampwares" is yet another tentacle of David Lucas' Evil Empire...

(remember the ill fated Hand Wound Transformers fiasco ? )

hmmmmm

/ed B in NH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Ampwares

Postby leadtower » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:02 am

I bought my Handwound transformers from a private individual so I didn't get burned on those. I sold the power trans but kept the OPT's.
This Ampwares guy had very good prices on AB resistors and jacks and stuff. Oh well; if it looks to good to be true; it probably isn't.
leadtower

Postby rockable » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:19 pm

You are likely to never hear from Ampwares unless you catch him on the phone. He should take down his website. There are many unhappy would be customers over on the Fender Forum.

Buy your caps from Antique Electronics, www.tubesandmore.com.
rockable

Postby K-MAN » Thu May 15, 2008 10:30 pm

Anyone here have tips on removing the crossover from the cabinets? I've removed the staples but the piece of wood it's mounted on seems to be glued to the cabinet. I hate working in cramped spaces and want to recap and replace the wires and actually see what I'm doing.
K-MAN

Return to loudspeakers