Klipsch Forte I

the weakest link we love so much

Postby Slartibartfast » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:14 pm

Ty_Bower wrote:So, should I be worried about the one oddball passive radiator? Or keep looking for another pair of Forte? I did like what I heard in the short time I was there...

If the price is right, I would buy them. You can get replacement woofers from Klipsch. Their prices seem reasonable.
Slartibartfast
KT88

Postby JW34 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:56 am

If the price is right, go for it. I have seen passive radiators on Ebay before. If it were me, I would replace the passive with the correct one. You might be able to talk him down in price because of it. Also, find out what shop replaced it. Maybe they still have the passive radiator or you can find out from them why they used that particular replacement.

Hope it goes well for you.

Jay
JW34

Postby Ty_Bower » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:38 pm

From what I can gather, the original KD-16 passive radiator used on the Chorus II was discontinued. Klipsch offers a different part for replacement. Someone ordered a pair, and he received something which looks like this:

What does this have to do with the pair of Forte II? Well, the oddball passive radiator looked pretty much exactly like the photo above. I can only assume that Klipsch must have also discontinued the Forte's original KD-15 (with the folded edge surround) and superseded it with a new model. I have to wonder if the performance of the new radiator is an exact match for the original. I'm guessing that even if not, you probably wouldn't be able to hear any difference.
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby JW34 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:30 pm

So did you get them yet? Cannot wait to hear your opinion of them on your equipment.

By the way, I have to wait a couple of weeks until more cash is availavble to work on the Mark III's. Had some things come up unexpectedly. I'll get them done shortly.

I hope you get the Forte II's. I think I sold my pair for $500 (black) and they were in good shape.

Jay
JW34

Postby JW34 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:57 pm

Just for show:

My old Forte II's with what looks like a rubber surround front:

Rear passive radiator with accordian style woofer:

And here are the Heresy II's that I restored. I wish I had a before and after shot, but I only have the after. I sold these without staining or varnishing them. They looked awesome!

JW34

Postby Ty_Bower » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:05 pm

You ported your Heresys?
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby JW34 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:18 pm

No, I said that they were Heresy's, but they're not. They were Klipsch's "pro audio" version of the Heresy called the KP-250. They were already ported.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/discont ... p-250.aspx

Jay
JW34

Postby Ty_Bower » Wed May 06, 2009 7:21 pm

JW34 wrote:So did you get them yet?

...I hope you get the Forte II's.

Well, I was too spooked by the mismatched passive radiators considering the $500 price tag he was asking. I talked him down ten percent, but didn't get any further than that.

Instead, I concocted a scheme to get the Chorus II that were on sale on Audiogon. The passive radiators on them got kicked in, but the sale price was too good to pass. He says the rest of the drivers look like new. I'm planning to cut a fifteen inch circle of MDF, bolt it in place of the PR, and port the thing instead. I should be able to tune the port to the same frequency as the PR and it shouldn't cost much more than the price of a quarter sheet of MDF and some four inch PVC pipe.

The seller is about 350 miles away from me, but I have some friends in the area who were willing to help out. Right now the speakers are sitting in a warehouse in Massachusetts. I should get them on Monday. Shipping won't cost much more than a case of beer...

Image Image
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby JW34 » Thu May 07, 2009 2:52 pm

When you say "kicked in", does thant mean there is a tear in the PR? I would try to save the speakers as much as possible without cutting them up. I'm sure you would do a great job at making them look good but the resale value will go way down. If you were to sell them, they would be like you and pass on them like you did the Forte's. I would strongly suggest looking into the forums on the Klipsch website. I know you will find threads with people having the same issue as you.

Obviously the origanal chorus was ported, so I'm sure you can get away with it on the II's. The replacement part for the Klipsch Passive Radiators are "Klipsch KD-16" (1-800-klipsch).

All I know is that these speakers are great! And they sound awesome with tubes!

Jay
JW34

Postby Ty_Bower » Thu May 07, 2009 3:08 pm

I could buy a replacement PR, but I've been told they are $126 each. I'm going to cut a circle out of MDF the same size as the diameter of the PR (fifteen inch). I'll unbolt the PR and mount the MDF disc in its place. I'll cut a four inch hole in the MDF and mount the tuned port there. The hole process (hah!) is easily reversible should I ever feel inclined to buy real replacement PRs. There will be no cutting or damage to the rest of the Chorus.

I might try repairing the torn PR, but the rip looks pretty extensive. If it has gone into the spider or the surround, I'm afraid it's a goner.
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby Ty_Bower » Wed May 13, 2009 2:32 pm

JW34 wrote:When you say "kicked in", does that mean there is a tear in the PR?

This should give you an idea of what I mean:

Image Image Image
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby JW34 » Wed May 13, 2009 4:07 pm

Ouch =:o ! Maybe ported is a good way to go then (lol) .
JW34

Postby nyazzip » Thu May 14, 2009 1:15 am

being a lowly "passive radiator" i would first just try out a crude repair and see how it sounds, first. as long as you can make a hermetic seal, and the cone still moves in and out as it is supposed to, and the cone remains lightweight and stiff, i bet not many people would hear the difference, at least at human listening levels.
my latest punture repair was done using a coffee filter, flour, water, and elmers glue. works like a charm!
<i>the poor craftsman blames his tools</i>
nyazzip
KT88

Postby Ty_Bower » Sat May 23, 2009 9:04 pm

Well, here's the prototype. So far, so good. If I like it, I'll build a nicer one. If I really like it, I'll build two nice ones and do both speakers. There's some evidence to suggest ports might outperform PRs (no notch) and there's further evidence to support the stock PRs on the Chorus II may be undersized in the first place.

Image Image
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby JW34 » Tue May 26, 2009 11:09 am

[quote="Ty_Bower"] and there's further evidence to support the stock PRs on the Chorus II may be undersized in the first place.

I believe you are right. The PR is the same size as the as the active woofer in front. I was under the imprssion that the PR was supposed to be larger or that two smaller woofers (who's sd is larger than the active woofer) was the rule of thumb. Then you have to figure in the weights for the PR's.

If you take a look at the Forte II's they have the 15" PR in back and a 12" active woofer in front.

I will be very intrested to see how this turns out for you as I may copy your plans.

Keep it up!

Jay
JW34

PreviousNext

Return to loudspeakers