Klipsch Forte I

the weakest link we love so much

Klipsch Forte I

Postby SDS-PAGE » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:03 pm

Could anybody here tell me their impressions on these speakers? They seem fairy sensitive at 99 dB/W/m, but how are they overall. Thanks!
Last edited by SDS-PAGE on Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Postby sorenj07 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:12 pm

I've never even seen them in person but here's some info I found from a quick chat with Mr. Google:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpo ... ostcount=5

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=53235
sorenj07
KT88

Postby Bob Lee » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:47 pm

I have a set of Chorus speaker, the big brother of Forte. I am only 45 min from Davis, bring your favorite amp and listen to my Chorus.

If you want to find out more about Klipsch speaker , see
http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/

Bob
Bob Lee

Klipsch Forte

Postby mercury_marine » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:15 am

I had a mint pair for about a year before trading for Thiels. Near full range performance. My 30W of tube power was plenty to get 'em movin'. Loud. They are big and boxy and heavy, made to withstand a drop down the stairs. Rockin' speakers for those with low power OR a need to blast the neighborhood. 2 essential tweaks: Disassemble and reseal all the internal seams and drivers (notoriously leaky) and install a round metal grille over the rear radiator to keep it from damage.

The Forte and Forte II were some of the most popular speakers of their time. Lots of internet discussion, mods, info, etc. is out there. Classics.
mercury_marine

Postby SDS-PAGE » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:36 pm

Thanks for your input, guys! This is very educational. I can probably get a pair of Fortes for $400 and Cornwalls for $495. At the same time, I could get a pair of well made Fostex driven full rangers for under $400. I have been selling my speakers (except Dynaco A25s) to amass enough money to get one of the above. I want something pretty sensitive as most of my amps are SETs. I don't need loads of bass. In fact, I don't want it to muddle the highs and mids. What would you do? Thanks.

Bob, I might take up on your offer to pay a visit sometime. Are you in Sac area? -Min
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Postby Bob Lee » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:08 pm

I am in Walnut Creek area, and I have very single model of Klipsch heritage speaker either in my house or my parent's house or my neighbor's house.

fell free to contact me at

Just pick a weekend or weekday, take your favor amp and CD and give it a swirl.

I really love the Klipsch speaker's efficient, I routinely listen to 1 to 0.5 watt amp in my listening room ( size is 21x22 ). With the Klipsch Khorn, it is really loud and will drive you out of the room.

In a matter of fact, I am listening to a DIYtube ST35 right now, last week, I mod the amp to use 4 Vitamin Q type PIO caps, took out the two input blocking caps, cut the 150K resistors, strapped the EL84 to triode mode, changed the 12au7 to 12BH7, it sound almost like my 45 SET amp.

looking forward to hear from you
Bob
Last edited by Bob Lee on Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Lee

Postby Slartibartfast » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:29 pm

SDS-PAGE wrote:Thanks for your input, guys! This is very educational. I can probably get a pair of Fortes for $400 and Cornwalls for $495. At the same time, I could get a pair of well made Fostex driven full rangers for under $400. I have been selling my speakers (except Dynaco A25s) to amass enough money to get one of the above. I want something pretty sensitive as most of my amps are SETs. I don't need loads of bass. In fact, I don't want it to muddle the highs and mids. What would you do? Thanks.

Having a pair of LaScalas that are 102db/1w/1m, I would go with the Klipsch. Between the two, I think I would go with the Cornwalls. They are rated at a 102db sensitivity as well. Thee JE 2A3 drives them nicely.
Slartibartfast
KT88

Klipsch Forte I

Postby mercury_marine » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:54 am

My last 2 cents on the topic. I'd pick the Cornwall over the Forte also BUT only if you have enough space for 2 small refrigerators in your listening room. They really are quite large. The Forte are large too, but slimmer, taller in appearance, and just more room friendly overall IMO. The Forte will also "disappear" musically more than the Cornwalls will. Either can be driven well by most any amp on earth - so either is a fine choice. Consider yourself lucky to have such choices!
mercury_marine

Re: Klipsch Forte I

Postby Slartibartfast » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:04 am

mercury_marine wrote:My last 2 cents on the topic. I'd pick the Cornwall over the Forte also BUT only if you have enough space for 2 small refrigerators in your listening room. They really are quite large. The Forte are large too, but slimmer, taller in appearance, and just more room friendly overall IMO. The Forte will also "disappear" musically more than the Cornwalls will. Either can be driven well by most any amp on earth - so either is a fine choice. Consider yourself lucky to have such choices!

Yeah when I told my wife that I was geeting a pair of speakers from a worksite, I conveniently left out their dimensions. Being the "will help if she can" girl that she is, she helped me get them out of the church, loaded in the truck, and unloaded at home. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_11 At the moment, they are residing in out bedroom. As soon as we can get rid of some bedroom furniture, they will go into their own room.
Slartibartfast
KT88

off the richter scale

Postby EWBrown » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:42 am

Geez, I'll probably feel the reverberations of those in my place in NC Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_04

I'll have two big sets of Bozak speakers (and the Krrlsons and BK-16s) to
appropriately "respond" with Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_04

Earthquakes in the Carolinas ?!?!? Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_11 :o

/ed B in NH / NC
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby SDS-PAGE » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:34 am

The Forte will also "disappear" musically more than the Cornwalls will

Could you explain what you meant by "disappear"? I don't have room for Cornwalls, I've just realized. So, Fortes might be a viable option for me. Thanks!
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Re: off the richter scale

Postby Slartibartfast » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:54 am

EWBrown wrote:Geez, I'll probably feel the reverberations of those in my place in NC Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_04

I'll have two big sets of Bozak speakers (and the Krrlsons and BK-16s) to
appropriately "respond" with Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_04

/ed B in NH / NC

Let me know when you get settled in. We can do some AB comparisons... Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_03
Slartibartfast
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:26 am

I'll be departing this job May 30th, and starting a series of back and forth trips over the summer. After May 30th, my internet "presence" will be very sporadic for a while, until I get set up on internet down in NC. and remaining sporadic until I'm fully settled in...

So far I think my choice is between dialup and dialup... (no DSL coverage and as far as I know, no cable TV has penetrated the area).

/ed B in NH / NC
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Slartibartfast » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:33 am

EWBrown wrote:I'll be departing this job May 30th, and starting a series of back and forth trips over the summer. After May 30th, my internet "presence" will be very sporadic for a while, until I get set up on internet down in NC. and remaining sporadic until I'm fully settled in...

If you need any help moving in, I would be glad to help. I am currently unemployed and always looking for an excuse to hop on the motorcycle, for a ride in the mountains.

So far I think my choice is between dialup and dialup... (no DSL coverage and as far as I know, no cable TV has penetrated the area).

/ed B in NH / NC

That is the only downside to living in a remote area. Even in Hendersonville N.C. There is no digital cable where my house is at and I am not sure about DSL...
Slartibartfast
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:01 am

I'll also be among the unemployed (for a few months) until I land a job in the local area.

I'll keep you up-to-date once the migration starts

/ed B
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Next

Return to loudspeakers