Do I have Dynaco A-25s?

the weakest link we love so much

Do I have Dynaco A-25s?

Postby SDS-PAGE » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:32 pm

I picked these up on Craigslist today out of curiosity. The seller didn't know what brand of speakers these were. All she knew was that they were made in Denmark. Her husband's the original owner and he thought they were Advent . I don't know how A-25s suppose to look like, but for $40/pr I had nothing to lose. The speakers are in great shape. I might replace the cloth covers and restore the wood surface. They sound really good too. Here are a couple of pictures. Please let me know what I have:

http://bp1.blogger.com/_i08-ibvZ150/R-H1WkOUHNI/AAAAAAAAAwE/4WxuaKfhzRg/s1600-h/S5033058.JPG

http://bp2.blogger.com/_i08-ibvZ150/R-H1W0OUHOI/AAAAAAAAAwM/1vmTH8Eoghw/s1600-h/S5033060.JPG
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Postby erichayes » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:32 am

Min, you have a pair of genuine first generation A-25s, and, for 40 bucks, you scored big-time (assuming the drivers are functional). Let me know if you need assistance with re-grilling them.
Eric in the Jefferson State
erichayes
KT88

Postby SDS-PAGE » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:24 pm

Wow, I had no idea! Thanks for the info, Eric! BTW, how can you tell these are the first generation A-25s? Can you tell by just looking at them? The lady told that her husband got them either early 70's or late 60's. They have been in storage for a looong time.
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Postby erichayes » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:57 pm

The second generation used the same woofer, but had a smaller tweeter that was mounted directly above the woofer. They also had removable grills (!).

The smaller tweeters didn't have the smooth crossover transition that the originals had, but they're still pretty good sounding speakers.
Eric in the Jefferson State
erichayes
KT88

Postby Pyre » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:27 am

Hi there,

Those are second generation.

Then again it all depends on how you look at it and where you break up the generations.

I quote from:

http://home.indy.net/~gregdunn/dynaco/c ... index.html

"Dynaco speakers were designed using Seas drivers, and imported to the USA under the Dynaco name. Interestingly the earliest A-25's used ScanSpeak Drivers and had the Aperiodic Port above the Tweeter, but this was soon changed to the widely seen Seas Drivers and the port under the woofer."

I would consider the version with the port above the tweeter and the scanspeak's, first generation. They are also distinguishable by having the woofer connectors lateral to each other and adhered by some weird orange glue.

Great deal at 40 clams! I wish I could find me a set
Pyre

Postby Ty_Bower » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:13 pm

I had to see what all the fuss was about. I recently picked these up off the 'Bay. Paid typical going rate, but they seem to be in reasonable condition. It doesn't look like anyone has gone inside tinkering with them... the screws holding the drivers appear unmolested.

Image Image

My initial listening impressions are favorable. I wasn't quite sure what to expect from 35+ year old speaker technology. They sound clear and the balance is neutral. I'll keep running them for a while, and see what I think...
Ty_Bower
KT88

Warming a cold thread....

Postby Dynacophil » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:07 am

Pyre wrote:I quote from:
"Dynaco speakers were designed using Seas drivers, and imported to the USA under the Dynaco name. Interestingly the earliest A-25's used ScanSpeak Drivers and had the Aperiodic Port above the Tweeter, but this was soon changed to the widely seen Seas Drivers and the port under the woofer."
I would consider the version with the port above the tweeter and the scanspeak's, first generation. They are also distinguishable by having the woofer connectors lateral to each other and adhered by some weird orange glue.

A-25 were built from 1968/69
ScanSpeak was founded 1971 by 2 former SEAS Engineers.
So... how can an early A-25 can be ScanSpeak, wether vent-above or below?

If vent-above is a sign for early version, it should have SEAS drivers, due to it appears with Scanspeak drivers, I guess, early is not the right definition.
This could be early, cause its SEAS and vent-above.
Last edited by Dynacophil on Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dynacophil

Postby Wiesiek Lipowski » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:35 pm

Weren't those speakers made by Skandyna?
Wiesiek Lipowski

Postby Dynacophil » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:31 pm

Hi
ScanDyna was a Trade/Distribution-Brand for Skandinavia/Europe in´70s. There was afaik no real production (maybe later, seen some funny Receivers...). I have ScanDyna branded A-35x, which seem cheaper built (vinylic wood) - a vent in front differs to the Dynaco A35, otherwise identical w/SEAS-Drivers.

behind the A-35x you see ScanDyna branded A-45x with ScanSpeak Drivers.
Dynacophil

Re: Warming a cold thread....

Postby Pyre » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:27 am

Dynacophil wrote:
Pyre wrote:I quote from:

A-25 were built from 1968/69
ScanSpeak was founded 1971 by 2 former SEAS Engineers.
So... how can an early A-25 can be ScanSpeak, wether vent-above or below?

If vent-above is a sign for early version, it should have SEAS drivers, due to it appears with Scanspeak drivers, I guess, early is not the right definition.
This could be early, cause its SEAS and vent-above.

I am pretty much going from my own observation and the information from recognized Dyanco experts. If you have some supporting information or links I would be happy to look at them.

Greg Dunn gives the production date for The A-25 as 1969

http://home.indy.net/~gregdunn/dynaco/components/speakers/index.html

Scan Speak gives their start date as 1970

http://www.scan-speak.dk/

Is it possible they were using the Scan-Speak name before 1970 in the production of the A-25's?

I have never seen A-25 with the vent above the tweeter and a Seas driver. Every port above tweeter I have seen contains the Scan-Speak components. I should try and find a date code on the components and see if that tells us anything.

I have an Ebay Search for A-25’s and every picture I have seen of an above tweeter port has had the Scan-Speak drivers.
Seems odd they would make two completely different versions of the A-25 with different components. Quite the mystery.
Pyre

Postby Dynacophil » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:46 am

It was the end of 1970. I ain fact have been) in mailcontact with a senior spkr designer of ScanSpeak.

I have never seen A-25 with the vent above the tweeter and a Seas driver. Every port above tweeter I have seen contains the Scan-Speak components. I should try and find a date code on the components and see if that tells us anything.

I own this pair:
it is vent above, it contains SEAS-Drivers and it is original, not a Frankenspeaker. Imageshack seems to have a problem... do you see the linked pic?

I saw a guy selling a mixed pair lately, one Spkr SEAS, the other ScanSpeak :)
He was a bit pissed when i told him.

I have an Ebay Search for A-25’s and every picture I have seen of an above tweeter port has had the Scan-Speak drivers.
Seems odd they would make two completely different versions of the A-25 with different components. Quite the mystery.

The scanspeak drivers are identical in specs. Dynaco bought from whom could deliver. The seller of the mixed pair owned them and used them without hearing it. They may have been mixed up in the store when originally sold the first time...
Last edited by Dynacophil on Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dynacophil

Postby Pyre » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:53 am

Ok, just so I have this clear you are telling me that Dyanco produced the A-25 with two different layouts, two different makes of drivers and tweeters at the same time and they are indistinguishable in sound?
Pyre

Postby Dynacophil » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:53 am

Pyre wrote:Ok, just so I have this clear you are telling me that Dynaco produced the A-25 with two different layouts, two different makes of drivers and tweeters at the same time and they are indistinguishable in sound?

Dynaco didn't produced/manufacture the (A25) Speakers, Dynaco developed the Layout in cooperation with SEAS, SEAS delivered them containerwise from Denmark to US. Later the both, SEAS AND ScanSpeak delivered the Speakers. SEAS and Scanspeak Drivers are very similar (those out of the time range we are talking about) probably because the have same constructors. It may have been the plan to satisfiy the same customers, too. The ScanSpeak Versions were available from 1970/71 - NOT from beginning of A-25 Production in 1968/69.

The Versions with ScanSpeak drivers used the ScanSpeak D3804 High/Mid

I also have A25' that are Branded SEAS, the don't have the Controls and a alloy-frame in the front that make them look a little slimmer. Except the controls identical SEAS Drivers.

Dynacophil

Postby Pyre » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:08 am

Dynacophil wrote:Dynaco didn't produced/manufacture the (A25) Speakers, Dynaco developed the Layout in cooperation with SEAS, SEAS delivered them containerwise from Denmark to US. Later the both, SEAS AND ScanSpeak delivered the Speakers. SEAS and Scanspeak Drivers are very similar (those out of the time range we are talking about) probably because the have same constructors. It may have been the plan to satisfiy the same customers, too. The ScanSpeak Versions were available from 1970/71 - NOT from beginning of A-25 Production in 1968/69.

I know that Dynaco did not manufacture the units I was being literal in the sense they are Dynaco branded speakers.

So you are saying there was two different Dynaco A-25's from two manufacturers being sold at the same time and the port position has nothing to do with the brand of driver? Any Idea why they would produce two completely different speakers and call them both A-25's. Have you any sources that support this theory?
Pyre

Postby Dynacophil » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:43 pm

Pyre wrote:So you are saying there was two different Dynaco A-25's from two manufacturers being sold at the same time and the port position has nothing to do with the brand of driver? Any Idea why they would produce two completely different speakers and call them both A-25's. Have you any sources that support this theory?

I have a pair of Dynaco A-25 with vent above and SEAS Drivers. I know that some people believe, the Dynaco's with vent above would have ScanSpeak drivers and would be "early" Dynacos. That is probably wrong, because in "early" production year Scanspeak didn't even exist. I know that there are (maybe early built?) Dynaco A-25 with vent above having SEAS Drivers. It is possible that they are "early" built, but they may have been built late also. I can only argue against the idea that the Dynaco A-25 w/vent above and ScanSpeak drivers must be early, they cannot, because Scanspeak was founded end of 1970, started production 1971, so the first in this combination can be built earliest in 1971, in 3rd year of existance of Dynaco A-25.
My guess is, that from the time that ScanSpeak existed and had Capacities, Dynaco was able to order both, ScanSpeak AND SEAS made A-25. The amount Dynaco was in need for was large, very large for a small scandinavian manufacturer. And, it's a good way to dictate prices when there are two sources available. Dynaco ordered from both...
Those Dynacos where not really different. The founders of ScanSpeak were SEAS engineers. When you look at them you see they are relatives.
Dynaco bought the stuff to sell millions in the U.S. at that time, probably there were times, both versions were on market at a time.
Another brand was ScanDyna (what existed before ScanSpeak, only sounding similar) as a distribution brand, which (also, besides other stuff) sold Dynaco stuff in Scandinavia and northern Europe. One of my PAS-3x and ST-70 are in Denmark sold 220V kits. That's what I figured out talking and mailing with people beeing related to those brands, one of them the german importer of Dynaco gear. I also had a longer mail contact to a at that time active Mr. Bjorn Borja, Senior Audio Designer @seas

He told me in different mails what I qote here:

The A-25 was designed mainly by David Hafler (Dynaco) and Ragnar Lian (SEAS) in the late 60ies. The drive units had just been developed and put into production in Norway, and were sent to SEAS' daugther company in Videbaek, Denmark where they were mounted into cabinets produced in Denmark. The finisked loudspeakers were sent by container to USA. We estimate that almost 1 million loudspeakers were sent altogether.

About ScanDyna:
ScanDyna used SEAS drivers, but possibly also other brands. I believe they used a 1" Philips dome tweeter for a while.

Bjorn Borja about Scan-Speak:
In fact, two of the founders of ScanSpeak were engineers who had been central in the development of the SEAS drivers: Ragnar Lian and Mogens Hvass. Scan-Speak was founded 1970

Bjorn Borja about the A-25xl:
I was involved in the development of A-25xl in the mid/late 70ies. There had been some comments on the poor dispersion of the 1.5" dome tweeter, so we fitted our newly developed 1" tweeter H086, and modified the crossover somewhat. But this improvement was not sufficient to overcome the problems with the exchange rate.

What I found out with the time throug this contacts is:
1950: SEAS was founded
1965: ScanDyna as a Brand was founded by Peter Hasselriis
1969: A-25 got on Market early 1969, developed by Hafler/Lian.
1970: Scan-Speak was founded by 2 SEAS Engineers Ragnar Lian and Mogens Hvass

ScanDyna sold Dynaco stuff, also B&O stuff AND Speakers stuffed with SEAS AND ScanSpeak-Drivers under it's Brand.

here an Ad from the 1970 showing a ScanDyna A-25 with ScanSpeak-Drivers:

and... Vent below :)
Dynacophil

Next

Return to loudspeakers