a bit of an emergency full range speaker questiong

the weakest link we love so much

a bit of an emergency full range speaker questiong

Postby parabellum » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:59 pm

I just got an offer from a friend of mine to go over to his place after work and use his woodshop. He drives a truck so he is never home and I gotta take advantage of this, but I don't have all my ducks in the row.

Initially I wanted to build a PAWO enclosure, then I figgured a Buschhorn Mk2 could fit into my living room easier.

PAWO uses FE127's and Buschorn FE103's and I am afraid neither of these are sensitive enough to drive a SET amp I will build aftrerward. I figgured either a JE Labs 2A3 design or even a GSG.

So then I figgured a FE206 i more appropriate with its 96dB but can't find a decent enclosure for it. They are all butt ugly.

Any suggestions or thought? I gotta make up my mind in exactly 5 hours :S
parabellum

Postby parabellum » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:29 pm

so far i'm leaning towards http://www.frugal-horn.com/metronome.html

But dont see the details how big a port I need for FE207
parabellum

Postby WA4SWJ » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:15 pm

Check out this link:

http://web.mac.com/scress1958/iWeb/Stev ... WT-map.pdf

Hopefully this will help.

I'll be most anxious to hear how you like these. I've built several sets of speakers from zaphaudio's Web site and love them, but nothing like this.

Regards,
Ed Long
WA4SWJ
KT88

Postby parabellum » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:20 pm

this one uses FE108 sigmas, 90dB sensitivity. I'm scared that it would not be enough
parabellum

Postby parabellum » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:29 pm

also here is an updated design of those drawings you posted

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/F ... 01-map.pdf
parabellum

Postby WA4SWJ » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:35 pm

Well, the speakers I have are not exactly sensitive. I am not sure what their efficiency is but I'm pretty sure they are a lot lower than your proposed project. My G*S*G amp drives them quite well with no effort and with plenty of volume. I built Zaph's L18 and BAMTM speakers (www.zaphaudio.com) as well as a proprietary design he did for me. I would think the Metronome is a higher SPL design than those that I have built so my guess (and it's a guess unfortunately since I have not built any TWT type speakers) is that you will have more than enough amplifier power to drive these with a G*S*G.

Wish I had the wood working equipment. I might try some of these for grins. They look cool and I'd love to hear how they sound.

Good luck and keep us informed on how it goes.
Ed Long
WA4SWJ
KT88

Postby parabellum » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:50 pm

Ok screw it I'm doing this.

I'm gonna go to home depot right now and buy some baltic birch if they sell it.
parabellum

Postby WA4SWJ » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:58 pm

That's the spirit!!

I really think you'll be OK with a SET amp and these speakers. If you look at the picture of the Metronomes on the page you originally posted, the person that owns them is driving them with what looks to be 300B monoblock amplifiers. That kind of amp will put out a few more watts than the G*S*G but not substantially so. Besides, most listening, even when relatively loud, happens at fairly low power, usually less than a watt. My G*S*G will drive the speakers I mentioned in the earlier post to uncomfortable levels with nowhere near the full output level of the amp. I'd go for it. I'm sure they will work out well. You won't get home theater explosion levels but they should work fantastic with music.

Best of luck and pictures, pictures, pictures as you go along!!!
Ed Long
WA4SWJ
KT88

Postby parabellum » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:30 pm

All I gots to say is these speakers better sound DAMNED good.

Just got back from home depot. Raining cats and dogs. They were out of birch ofcourse so I got MDF instead. Should work fine i guess.

Broke my back trying to fit it all into my little Impreza in the damn rain.

Gonna head out to the buddy's workshop in about half hour. Hopefully i didnt do some idiotic mistake and cut the wood wrong.

As for the pics, if you saw my ST70 thread ( http://diytube.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1702 ) you know I document the crap out of projects Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_06
parabellum

Postby Shannon Parks » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:37 pm

I have cranked my TQWT pipes in my 20X20 living room with the GSG 300B. Yes, even did fine with 'the rock test', like the Immigrant Song played at anti-WAF volume levels. The key is to not kill the efficiency with the bass compensation circuit. Don't use it! The whole idea is to not use a cross-over, and then we muck it up with that thing. Anyhow, I plan on just actively EQing/boosting the lower 250Hz, currently with a neato NAD used as a preamp (has MC phono, too - all for $90 at the last hamfest). Initial listening tests have been extremely fruitful using this method. No sub is needed. But the listening room and final resting place won't be complete for a couple weeks. Then I'll put the hours on those Fostex. And I'm ready to build a second pair this spring.
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby lth1 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:04 pm

I have a GSG driving the PAWO and Zigma Hornet (both with Merrill drivers) and the Hammer Dynamic Super 12. The GSG will drive all three to ear bleeding levels. I actually like the Zigma Hornets better than the PAWO. Zigma Hornets are extremely easy to build but the PAWO is much more complicated and time consuming.
lth1

Postby SDS-PAGE » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:45 pm

Just got back from home depot. Raining cats and dogs. They were out of birch ofcourse so I got MDF instead. Should work fine i guess.

Broke my back trying to fit it all into my little Impreza in the damn rain.

Yes, I have been noticing that it's been raining a lot in Nor Cal this season. Not to mention being unusually cold. Of course, it's nothing compare to frigid cold climate in Midwest to East. Maybe Al Gore is right after all.
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Postby parabellum » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:24 am

Its 11:20 PM and I just got back home. All in all a pretty good night. Three of us workin in a garage with a heater cranked up while its raining outside.
Well actually only one guy really working and the the two of us drinking beer and getting out of his way Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_05

He'll put some finishing touches on them tomorrow. I gotta order the drivers and the liner now I guess Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_11
parabellum

Postby parabellum » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:48 am

Actually can someone suggest what I should buy to line and dampen the enclosure with.

The instructions say

line internal panel behind driver to reduce reflections. Use very little or no other damping in the box to taste.

But on some pics I've seen them line everything with something and then fill the whole damn thing with some other stuff.

Any suggestions? I wanna order the driver asap from madisound and other stuff right with it.
parabellum

Postby WA4SWJ » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:13 am

Sounds like you had a productive evening!

Parts Express has this stuff:

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm ... oup_ID=137

Sonic Barrier is nice since it has an adhesive back. You just cut it to size with a knife and peel the back off and stick it in place. Works well. It comes in several thicknesses.

As for how much stuffing or where I'm afraid I don't know. I've never built that type of speaker. For the ones I have built I pretty much cover the entire inside of the cabinet. The requirement may be different for yours.

Good luck with them. Can't wait to hear about how you like them.

Regards,
Ed Long
WA4SWJ
KT88

Next

Return to loudspeakers