a bit of an emergency full range speaker questiong

the weakest link we love so much

Postby Shannon Parks » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:20 am

I just used the 1lb bag of polyfill. I did glue some bamboo skewers just under the driver opening to keep it in place.
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby ecir38 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:01 am

parabellum wrote:Actually can someone suggest what I should buy to line and dampen the enclosure with.

The instructions say

line internal panel behind driver to reduce reflections. Use very little or no other damping in the box to taste.

But on some pics I've seen them line everything with something and then fill the whole damn thing with some other stuff.

Any suggestions? I wanna order the driver asap from madisound and other stuff right with it.

It soulds like you are in a hurry to get these things done but you may want to read these links in detail before lining them. If you overstuff them it won't be easy to undue if you don't incorporate any access into the enclosure.
http://web.mac.com/scress1958/iWeb/Stev ... /Home.html
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthre ... highlight=
original thread (long but worth the read)
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthre ... highlight=
It's been awhile since I read this but if I recall using polyfill above the driver and line the back wall with a 1/2'"material worked out.
I have used this in the past (1/2" regular) with good results and doesn't break the bank. Should have plenty left for future projects.
http://www.foambymail.com/CharcoalFoam.html
ecir38

Postby parabellum » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:59 am

yup in a bit of a hurry. I'm on sort of a vacation and wanted to wrap up a few projects while I have time.

but I figgured I can read up while the order is being shipped but i want to make sure i order eveything i need so i dont have to get stuck becase of some little thing midway
parabellum

Postby parabellum » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:01 pm

OK so after some reading so far I have gathered this.

1) Only the back side behind the driver should be lined. (Only I'm still not sure if the entire back side should be lined or just the spot behind and above the driver.

2) Use very little damping if any at all only in the upper part above the driver. Experiment with this until its right for the room.

3) Because of the need to experiment make the bottom section removable for easier access.

I still have not figgured out where exactly to put the binding posts and if i need them at all. Maybe I can just slide the cable trought the bottom section.
parabellum

Postby ecir38 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:17 pm

parabellum wrote:I still have not figgured out where exactly to put the binding posts and if i need them at all. Maybe I can just slide the cable trought the bottom section.

When I was looking at doing these I was also thinking of making the bottom removable. This would also be a good place for binding post and if any BSC is needed the parts could be mounted to the inside of the bottom panel.
ecir38

Postby parabellum » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:10 am

OK i just ordered the drivers. I still say this is way too much money for two 4" drivers ...190 bucks with shipping. But screw it, I guess I can always sell it if I dont like it and get most of my money back.
parabellum

Postby parabellum » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:20 pm

Anybody know what from Home Depot I can use for lining and dampening so i don't have to wait by ordering online?
parabellum

Postby lth1 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:16 pm

I have started making my own felt from 100% wool sweaters purchased at Sally Ann or other used clothing outlets. For me the thicker the sweater the better, and the thickness of the final felt is determined by the time that the sweater is washed in a conventional washing machine, then air dried. A little detergent is used to reduce friction in the felting process, have been able to get felt from 3/16" to 5/8" with this process.

For stuffing go to the local craft store and get polly pillow stuffing, or fiberglass insulation at home depot, personally do not like using fiberglass.
lth1

Postby wiredbecker » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:46 am

You're a madman dude. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_06 Almost as crazy as me. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_07
wiredbecker
KT88

Postby parabellum » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:54 am

ehehe felt from old sweaters :) Thats kickass. Time consuming, but kickass :)
parabellum

Postby lth1 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:53 am

Time consuming for the washing machine (30-45 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_11 minutes), not for me!
lth1

Postby parabellum » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:22 pm

OK the 108's arrived today. Anyone know what the little clamp is for that came with them. I'm assuming its for securing the cable?
parabellum

Previous

Return to loudspeakers