speaker recomendations for ST-35...?

the weakest link we love so much

speaker recomendations for ST-35...?

Postby nyazzip » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:47 am

anyway, i just finished a DIYTube ST-35. so far i love it....
i'm looking around for sensitive, low-power speaker options. i'm not looking for DJ-style, raver-party volume, or home theatre T-rex-rumbling-thru-forest-bruce-willis-explosion-ooh-ahh crap- i will use this amp for room listening to music, at low to moderate volumes....i wouldn't mind a bit more bass response then i've seen in "bookshelf" style setups, to date. placement is flexible; i can hang em, shelve em, or have big floor monkey coffins if need be.
mostly i listen to older, more "organic" music, like roots('50s) country, rock, and pop; pre-Kenny G jazz, etc....so, aside from the dynaco 25s or whatever they are called, anyone want to chime in?
i am starting to lean towards making my own, only because i have yet to hear about large floor standing cabinets, with waist to chest-level tweeters, that are also low-powered and sensitive. i guess a subwoofer is out with the st-35(but i was wondering, can't you drive two 8 ohm satellites, and then twist together the two 16 ohm leads and use them to drive a "sub" center cube, while sharing the ground with the two 8 ohmers? what would that translate to in total impedance?)
i may soon be able to pirate some speakers out of a '62 Saba console hi-fi; i think it has those oblong 6x9-styled speakers in it.
i'm also on the verge of bidding on an eBay auction that happens to be nearby, on some '50s/early '60s Telefunken/Heco? small-floorstanders, on legs.
i guess my biggest overall question is: can you get reasonable musical bass, at low and moderate listening levels, from speakers that are both 1)small(5" or less) and 2) not in contact with the floor? i do realize the ST-35 is not a deep bass machine, nor do i require one; i just want to optimize for it.
once i answer this, then i will be able to focus on the next step(s). i like the subwoof-with-bookshelf concept but i guess its out with the st-35. so: bookshelf or floorstanding?
nyazzip
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:51 am

Start with some of the old threads in this forum. Plenty of good stuff in there! Also, would you want to refurb an old set, of perhaps Dynaco speakers, or build a new pair? Lots of great options for both.
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby wiredbecker » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:37 pm

Hey dude, I'm running Dynaco A25s with mine. Sounds really, really great.
wiredbecker
KT88

Postby wiredbecker » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:42 pm

Not only that, but I have the tone controls on my Adcom preamp defeated. It just sounds right. No need to mess around.
wiredbecker
KT88

Return to loudspeakers