Speaker designs for use with Dyna MKIII ???

the weakest link we love so much

Speaker designs for use with Dyna MKIII ???

Postby hilldweller » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:58 pm

Hello everyone,
I hope all is well! Can anyone out there give some suggestions for a compatible speaker system to run on Dynaco MKIIIs? Iv'e looked at some out on the market and have considered building them. If building, Would it be more advantagous to go with one or two full range drivers in a ported box, Or the traditional " MTM " Or standard three or two way config? Classic / Progressive rock music as well as classic Jazz & Blues is the type of music that these MKIIIs will be used for. Any advice is Greatly Appreciated!!! I will post pic's of the MIIIs soon. they are not quite finished yet. BTW, I'll be using a solid state preamp. Only because I have yet to find a good tube based preamp. Still researcing. :)
Analog is Real! Experience it!
Digital leads to trans humanism. Not good.
hilldweller
KT88

Postby Blair » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:08 am

How loud do you want to go?

I'm asking because with 50-70w, you do not need to limit youself to single driver speakers. I'm driving a very low 85db speaker system that uses 5 drivers easily with my MKIII. Head over to a website like Parts express and ask around for a two or three way design that is 87db or over, and you should get some decent results. Here are mine:

Blair
Blair
KT88

Postby TomMcNally » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:07 am

I'd agree with Blair - the MK-III's have plenty of power
to drive pretty much any speakers you have.
I can shake the house with my big Cerwin-Vega! speakers.
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Postby WA4SWJ » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:50 pm

If you're into building speakers I can highly recommend this web site:

www.zaphaudio.com

I've built two of John's designs so far. I built a set of his L18 design and another set based on an unreleased design he designed for me after I loaned him some tweeters to test. John is a fantastic speaker designer. The L18's are excellent speakers. I was happy with them from the moment I fired them up.

His BAMTM design is due up this coming weekend. I'll have sawdust from the router all over me.
Ed Long
WA4SWJ
KT88

Postby hilldweller » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:39 pm

TomMcNally wrote:I'd agree with Blair - the MK-III's have plenty of power
to drive pretty much any speakers you have.
I can shake the house with my big Cerwin-Vega! speakers.

How are them Cerwin Vega!s ? I see that Cerwin Vega has been bought out and is now part of the Stanton Group, makers of fine phono cartridges. I was considering the new CLS Series. Do you know anything about this recent change at Cerwin Vega? Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_14
hilldweller
KT88

Postby hilldweller » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:50 pm

deicide67 wrote:How loud do you want to go?

I'm asking because with 50-70w, you do not need to limit youself to single driver speakers. I'm driving a very low 85db speaker system that uses 5 drivers easily with my MKIII. Head over to a website like Parts express and ask around for a two or three way design that is 87db or over, and you should get some decent results. Here are mine:

Blair

Thanks, I'm looking into it. Iv'e built speakers in the past with items from Parts Express. I still have them. They weigh about 92 pound each and have toe spikes. There Big! I used these with solid state system. Dayton series-2 12" woof woofs, textile dome mids, and piezo horns for the tweet tweets. It sounds like I can use these with the MK 3s.
hilldweller
KT88

Return to loudspeakers