The New Magical Mystical Vacuum Phase Plug

the weakest link we love so much

The New Magical Mystical Vacuum Phase Plug

Postby EWBrown » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:26 am

As envisioned by DECware...

Take a Fostex FE-166E, cut out the dust cap, and use a 9 pin tube as the phase plug.

(No, it''s not April 1st, and I'm not making this stuff up) Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_04 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_03 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_01 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_06 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_09 :o

http://www.decware.com/newsite/DFR6.htm

He started out using a socket wrench in an FE206E, , then some mysterious magical thingie (probably salvaged off the 1947 Roswell UFO crash), now this...

I wonder if transconductance-matched tubes make for better qualityphase plugs... Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_09 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_21

/ed B in NH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Ty_Bower » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:40 am

They do, but only if you first color the pins with your green marker.
Ty_Bower
KT88

Um-Galla-Galla

Postby EWBrown » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:48 am

Here is the Sooper-Sekret Ace Hardware Store Special Phase Plug (AKA the SSAHSSPP) in its full glory:

Interesting.... I've nener seen a black-cone Fostex speaker before... Maybe it's one of those cheap Fostex knock-off "Audio Nirvana" things...For the other approach, now I finally have a good use for those two totally dead Amperex Bugle Boy ECC83s that I've not had the heart to simply throw away. Just give 'em a pin-ectomy, and get some super glue, and suddenly the audio miracles will commence. :o :o :o

If bigger tubes are better (as they claim) than I can use two of the three dead 6C19P-Vs.

(As the Indian Chief told the visiting President, be careful not to step in the Um-Galla-Galla, when he went to look at the Tribe's prize bull)

/ed B in NH
Last edited by EWBrown on Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Ty_Bower » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:34 am

Is that a 3/8" drive socket in there? Can I use a 1/4" drive socket adaptor?

Which sounds better, a 6 point or a 12 point socket?
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:14 pm

The best acoustical effects are obtained by using a left handed metric socket. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_09 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_05 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_08

The size? Just look up the FE206E specs on www.madisound.com, then choose a socket whose external diameter is lightly less than the diameter of the voice coil.

And be VERY careful in positioning it... :o Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_21

Then rub both hands with liberal quantities of Doctor Johnson's Snake Oil

/ed B in NH
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Shannon Parks » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:22 pm

Hey, be easy on us Illinoisans. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_09
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby EWBrown » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:25 pm

FWIW if you read "the article" all the way down, it states that the tube "phase plug" inserts into a socket which is mounted (glued) onto the pole piece. Hey, we can tube-roll! Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_04 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_04 I don't have to give my dead Bugle Boys a pin-ectomy, afrer all!

I wonder if that rubber mat, which is glued onto the back of the speaker magnet, in order to hide the label, actually contributes to the claimed acoustic metamagical properties of this truly amazing design concept Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_02 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_20

/ed B in NH
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Return to loudspeakers