beefing up A25's

the weakest link we love so much

beefing up A25's

Postby parabellum » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:22 pm

Anyone have a link to a write up on how to tune up the Dynaco A25 speakers. I have a pair and want to make sure they are working properly
parabellum

Postby joeriz » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:11 pm

Well, I don't know of a webpage that tells one what to do to 'tune up' the A25, but here's a link to show you what I did with mine:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showth ... p?t=119993

In short, I refinished the cabinets, replaced the tweeters with the Morel replacement, installed all new wiring, all new resistors on the 5-way tweeter switch, and a new crossover capacitor. Not as bad as it sounds and they sound great!

But, honestly, I think most folks would tell you that as long as your drivers are working properly, the first and most important thing you should do is simply replace that old cap in the crossover. That cap can have different values depending on what vintage A25s you have. I believe most use a 5uf cap (mine does). Second, you should probably clean the tweeter switch with some DeOxIt. Those two things alone should get you most of the way there...

Joe
joeriz

Postby erichayes » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:02 pm

I pulled up a couple of threads in the ST35 forum regarding the A25, among others. You should be able to glean something from them.
Eric in the Jefferson State
erichayes
KT88

Postby wiredbecker » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:41 am

Howzabout when you get them up and running to your satisfaction, we run a comparison with my stock A25 XLs?
wiredbecker
KT88

Postby parabellum » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:50 pm

yup I'd be interested to hear how they compare.

And maybe I used a wrong word when I said "tune up", I should have said something like "refurbish".

I still plan to make my own single driver speakers, but only when i make a SET amp.
parabellum

Return to loudspeakers