Voigt Pipe or ML TQWT Speaker?

the weakest link we love so much

Postby parabellum » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:25 pm

yep, I read and interview with the designer. Its MDF dipped fully in resin, covered with veneer and with about 10 coats of lacquer Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_11
parabellum

a few more second opinions

Postby EWBrown » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:43 am

There is currently a discussion of this very same topic, going on over at Bottlehead,

Start here:

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/bottl ... 20571.html

/ed B in NH
Last edited by EWBrown on Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

UPDATE

Postby Shannon Parks » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:05 am

Got my second speaker gluing together. Received my Madisound and Parts Express orders. Basically got a bag of poly fill and two Fostex FE167E (Made in China - looks like a Japanese product, fwiw) from Madisound. Got two speaker terminals and four port tubes from Parts Express (two extra just in case).

I've grabbed Speaker Calculator and plugged in the FE167E data. The port area is that of a 3in/7.5cm port. I recalculated my actual inside dims: 6.5" by 8" by 53", for a total volume of 22.58 liters, so mine are much smaller than the ML TQWTs. A tenth of a liter can be subtracted for the port tube and speaker protrusion, but it doesn't affect the calc that much. Looks like I need a 2.9" long port. I recalculated everything with Martin King's design, and indeed the calc calls for not quite an inch long port as his had originally (before the BSC mod). I'm going to EQ mine and not flush sensitivity down the tubes.

FWIW, I plugged in the Fostex Standard Bass Reflex 15 liter design (changed the port area number, too) and got very different results for the port tube length. Their port was almost twice as long. Part of me wants to say Fostex knows best, but datasheet errors happen enough. My guess is that the speaker box design was done with early prototypes that had different final specs than the current driver. This is a very likely scenario, IMHO.

Hopefully this speaker ends up sounding decent on its own, but building two more for surround sound and a sub is a real possibility. I'd just have the four TQWTs driven by a ST35 or greater (the two sides in parallel) and the sub driven by an Ike.

Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby EWBrown » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:12 am

No need messin' around with all that glue and stain, just get yourself a couple of these:

http://www.scienceandsons.com/ph2.php

/ed B in NH's tornado alley
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Shannon Parks » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:25 am

Hmmm - 55dB SPL for free. :)
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Re: UPDATE

Postby parabellum » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:34 pm

separks wrote:Hopefully this speaker ends up sounding decent on its own, but building two more for surround sound and a sub is a real possibility. I'd just have the four TQWTs driven by a ST35 or greater (the two sides in parallel) and the sub driven by an Ike.

What would you use for the center speaker? And how would you run two sides in parallel, would they not require their own channels since real surround sound makes a distinction between all channels?

I've been thinking about this a while ago and figgured that the only way to do this properly would probably be to use monoblocks for all the channels. Am I missing something?
parabellum

Re: UPDATE

Postby Shannon Parks » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:00 am

parabellum wrote:What would you use for the center speaker? And how would you run two sides in parallel, would they not require their own channels since real surround sound makes a distinction between all channels?

For a center speaker I'd probably make a folded version of the TQWT. My main use will be a four speaker stereo setup, so I won't use them as surrounds (at first). Later I'll employ a second amp and a speaker switcher. So initially I may listen to movies as left, center, & right. Then add a sub. Then make surround arrangements. Heck, my two Klipsch still kill the average HT setup I've heard with tiny satellites.

Some may scoff at a pseudo-quad speaker arrangement, but I really enjoy my uncle's four JBL L100s in his listening room. It is different, but feels about as close to live as I've experienced.
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby parabellum » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:37 am

ah ok, i was thinking you are going for the full on surround sound.

I wonder if its even worth going for a full surrouns sound just for tv or movie watching. I wonder how good the audio source is anyway. Garbage in garbage out, waste of tubes. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_11
parabellum

Postby wiredbecker » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:22 am

parabellum wrote:ah ok, i was thinking you are going for the full on surround sound.

I wonder if its even worth going for a full surrouns sound just for tv or movie watching. I wonder how good the audio source is anyway. Garbage in garbage out, waste of tubes. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_11

I really enjoy surround sound when projecting movies and just use a crap solid state Sony for it. You're totally welcome stop over and check it out.

I know what you're saying about 'waste of tubes', I kind of want to reserve tube amplified sound for more focused dedicated hifi listening. Too much interruption and distraction during movies..
wiredbecker
KT88

Postby SDS-PAGE » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:16 pm

wiredbecker wrote:I really enjoy surround sound when projecting movies and just use a crap solid state Sony for it.

I second that thought - I am entirely happy with watching movies with my 150 bucks Yamaha reciever equipped with all the digital gizmos through a Bose/Velodyne surround combo. DVDs seem to be designed to do well on those digital stuff anway. I want to hook up my Velodyne sub to one of my bass-challenged SETs one of thes days. Velodynes rock!
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Postby parabellum » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:52 pm

wiredbecker wrote:
parabellum wrote:ah ok, i was thinking you are going for the full on surround sound.

I really enjoy surround sound when projecting movies and just use a crap solid state Sony for it. You're totally welcome stop over and check it out.

I know what you're saying about 'waste of tubes', I kind of want to reserve tube amplified sound for more focused dedicated hifi listening. Too much interruption and distraction during movies..

maybe when we hit the next audio fleemarket I'll pick up some crappy suroundsound system for tv watching.
Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_09
parabellum

Great bass and an effortless kazing-ga-whump

Postby EWBrown » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:19 am

To steal a line from a friend of mine, describing the sound of some Vintage JBL C37 speakers:

Great bass and an effortless kazing-ga-whump

Now, here's the whole enchilada, some of the NNETG guys certainly can paint a colorful word picture Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_01

what do they (JBL C37s) sound like compared to, say, a pair of Cornwalls?

Kind of like a Mac amp sounds compared to a Dynaco. As it says in the
page link, these were used as studio monitors more than once and if you
refer to a recent ebay auction (that ended at over $2K) that pair came
out of Capitol Records Studios. Philosophically I'm an Altec leaner but
all it takes is to listen to a pair of big JBL and I start to drift
hard.

Great bass and an effortless kazing-ga-whump. Cadillac fins and
Black Beauty. A Carvel ice cream cake on a blazing hot day washed down
with a glass of Krug champagne. Jimi Hendrix in your living room. I
could go on since I got up too early this morning and was out in the sun
too long so I'll stop.

/ed B in NH
Last edited by EWBrown on Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Shannon Parks » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:46 am

Two coats of stain done. I'll probably do one more coat of stain, and then start with the polyurethane coats. Holes drilled and even the screw holes, so it is almost plug and play. I'll stuff it before I mount the FE167Es. I still need to do two 16x16" bases using the same wood. No big deal. The first base design was ixnayed due to (extremely) poor WAF. :o Otherwise, the WAF has been surprisingly off the charts.

BTW, I didn't use a router. I used my $19 Skil jigsaw with 12T/inch blade, a $1 protractor, my machinist ruler and a 3/8" drill with wood bit (for starter hole).

Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby parabellum » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:27 am

that looks a lot better then I expected it to. And I was just about to ask you how you drilled the driver holes.
parabellum

Shannon: Did you finish these?

Postby hembrook » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:57 pm

I built up a set of Jeschke Voigt Pipes. Not bad. I need better drivers, tho.
hembrook

Previous

Return to loudspeakers