Show me your DIY Speakers !

the weakest link we love so much

Postby WA4SWJ » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:26 am

Guys,

Thanks and I wish I could take credit for the finish. Those are Parts Express cabinets. I only cut the front baffle to mount the drivers and the back for the port tube and built the crossovers.

Regards,
Ed Long
WA4SWJ
KT88

Postby wiredbecker » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:21 pm

Hey guys, here's two DIY speaker projects that I've been assisting with over at AudioKarma. Zilch is my neighbor here in the East Bay and I've been lending a hand when I can--soaking up as much information as possible.

These speaker projects rock!

The Indignia http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showth ... p?t=160535

The Econo-Waveguide Speaker http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showth ... p?t=150939
wiredbecker
KT88

Postby soundbrigade » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:15 am

Suffering from galloping Alzheimers ... just noticed I had posted my smallish TangBands twice ... Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_13

Well I got my horn ready but no to repeat myself I have uploaded the last pics to my thread on the Speaker Hung(a)ry speakers.
Magnus

"It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge."
soundbrigade
KT88

Postby soundbrigade » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:35 am

After finishing the horn speakers I retired my old ones. They were very good, maybe a "bit" colorful, but that made it a pleasure to listen to "stompy music".
They are three-way speakers with Peerless chassis. The tops are a 5" bass/mid and an 1" tweeter. They can be used as fullregister speakers, they play pretty loud. However I added the sub-modules with a 6½" pointing downwards. The boxes are around 10 and 20-25 litres, ported. The tops are of pine with decorative painting and the subs are made of MDF with also some kind of decorative painting.
I bought the speakers as kits almost 18 years ago.

Magnus

"It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge."
soundbrigade
KT88

Postby mashaffer » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:59 pm

At my cheesy web site you can see my projects under the speaker projects button. The table speakers are my latest OB effort. The ugly thing on the far right is my first proof of concept to try out the OB concept. The "fireplace" is a 12" sealed sub.

mike
mashaffer

Postby wiredbecker » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:23 pm

Here's my latest speaker build-- a Zilchlab exclusive

ImageImageImage

The cabinets are a pair of 1950's JBL C36 Viscounts. Had to hack the stock baffle to fit the new one which is fitted with JBL LE14A woofers and in this picture the Econowaveguide from Audiokarma. Recent changes include an upgrade to BMS4555 compression drivers :)

They sound incredible.
wiredbecker
KT88

Postby Blooze » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:41 pm

Here's a few pics of my Pi Two Towers. I still don't have them finished two years later. Set them up and haven't bothered with it. I will be making top and bottom plates for them that will be painted black with truck bed liner (the front and rear will be black as well). There will be solid oak strips on the front baffle edges and oak veneer on the sides.

Here's some pics of my ART arrays. I had the material to build the cabs all bought, and the original designer had a set of cabs already built, but unfinished, so I just got them from him. I did put the whole thing together, though ;) They make my old Heresy's look small.

Blooze

Postby FATMAN » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:24 pm

Bentwood horns 4 way Traditions system 18inch corner horn with JBL2245H mid bass Altec A210 derivitive using 515c 200hz mid horn using BMS4590 600hz tweeter horn usinh JBL2435HPL crossover at 60hz, 300hz 4000hz 112db at one watt, Bass responce to below 20hz
Built by Andrew Vanderkruk [img][img]http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr295/Bentwood_photos/DSC00094.jpg[/img][/img]
FATMAN

Postby WA4SWJ » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:30 pm

Hi Guys,

New zaphaudio ZRT (Zaph Revelator Towers) that I finished a couple of weeks ago. They are fantastic speakers. Here are some pics:

Website is www.zaphaudio.com

These are the fourth Zaph design I've built. They're all very good speakers.
Ed Long
WA4SWJ
KT88

My DIY speakers attempt

Postby Iamnoman » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:39 pm

Hi, I'm new to this so hopefully I posted the images right. If so you can see a pair of bad pictures of my Aria R1. These are based on a kit from Zalytron, using a Joe D'Appolito MTM design. I'm using Focal 5" mids and Raven 1 inch ribbon twitters. Orca Design (who makes the Raven's) helped me with the curved side design and the crossovers. If you ever want Ravens, Focals or Avon crossover parts go to Orca. They are fantastic to work with. The cross overs are configured for bi-amping but I'm not doing that yet. The speakers are very efficient at about 94dbs. Right now I'm running these on a very simple system: Meridian 508 24 bit CD and a professionally modified Jolida 302b Tube amp. This system is great for acoustics, vocals and classical. The speakers sound fantastic imho. I'd really like to get a few second opinions but I haven't found any enthusiasts near me. Oh, the veneer is a quilted mohagany with polyurathane finish and only the top and bottom are parallel to reduse waves, etc.
Hope you like them. JH
Iamnoman

Postby castlesteve » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:49 pm

here`s mine:

[/img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-11/1327024/L55s001.jpg
castlesteve

Postby Quad » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:50 am

Folks,

Just completed building my pair of Sachikos with
Fostex FE206E drivers. They are the first speakers
I have built, and in fact, my first significant
carpentry work too.

The drivers have just a couple of hours on them, but
they sound pretty good.
An excellent design by Scott Lindgren (scottmoose).

I built them with marine ply, and finished with
a walnut stained polish and a couple of coats of
Touchwood (clear polyurethane).

The source is an old Koss DVD player and I tried my
KT-77 PP amp (VTA board, Trafomatic toroids) as
well as the Mauro Penasa MyRef LM3886 amp. Both sound
excellent.
Speaker cables were made from Cat 5 cable.

I am waiting for the drivers to get broken in, so I can
tweak the amount of stuffing in the driver chamber.

Here is the photo build log.

http://picasaweb.google.com/prasadb/Sachiko#

- Prasad

Quad
KT88

Postby Dynacophil » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:23 pm

Frankenspeakers I did for the halfsister of my sons :)
out of sittingontheshelfstuff... Tweeter Isophon KK10 and mid Isophon ??, Woofer Trio/Kenwood

she (15) drives them with a Technics SA 706 I found in my garage
http://www.vintage-audio.com.ua/en/cat/91/142.html
her PC and an old Philips CDP. She loves it, at 12:00 Volume the People wave from the other S?de of the street. Her Mother doesn't like it :)
Last edited by Dynacophil on Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Iss dein Schnitzel, sonst kriegst du keinen Nachtisch
Dynacophil

Re: My DIY speakers attempt

Postby Dynacophil » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:26 pm

Iamnoman wrote:Hi, I'm new to this so hopefully I posted the images right. If so you can see a pair of bad pictures of my Aria R1. Hope you like them. JH

Image Image

this is the Speakers of Iamnoman made visible
Last edited by Dynacophil on Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Iss dein Schnitzel, sonst kriegst du keinen Nachtisch
Dynacophil

Postby Ty_Bower » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:27 pm

Those are some beautiful looking DIY speakers, Phil. You obviously put a lot of work into them.
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

PreviousNext

Return to loudspeakers