st70 Speaker Recommendations

the weakest link we love so much

st70 Speaker Recommendations

Postby wiredbecker » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:03 pm

Perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself here--restoration hasn't even begun yet. But as I lay here in bed slowly healing from surgery, I dream of the system to come. Which of my speakers are going to be the best match with the st70? I have the following loudspeaker pool of pairs to choose from:

The original Advent Speaker
a later Advent model-not sure which, can't get to them right now
AR2
AR4x
AR4xa
Boston Acoustic HD9
Boston Acoustic CR7
Klipsch Heresy II
Pioneer CS-77
Pioneer CS-99a
Presage Model Fifteen
Tannoy Proto J
Last edited by wiredbecker on Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wiredbecker
KT88

Postby erichayes » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:48 pm

Hi All.

Because my musical preferences lean toward classical, acoustic and a wide range of vocals, my first choice would be the original Advent, followed by the ARs and the remaining Advents. The others might sound better with certain music genres, but for overall accuracy and neutrality, along with reasonable efficiency, the Advent is the best of the bunch
Eric in the Jefferson State
erichayes
KT88

Postby Sal Brisindi » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:41 pm

It is recommended to use Dynaco A-25's so you will have a matched system, didn't you see the label under the chassis stating that.... Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_08

I am only kidding but I do have a pair of Dynaco A-25's connected to my ST-70 and they sound really nice as I am listening to them right now as I write this reply. I got my speakers for a really really good price, so good, I cannot mention it here... ;-).

Regards,
Sal Brisindi
Sal Brisindi
KT88

Postby erichayes » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:17 pm

I should mention that I, too, prefer the A-25s and that they are the choice of Bud Wyatt and myself for the reference studio systems we're making.

That said, of those on the list, I'd go with the original Advents.
erichayes
KT88

Postby wiredbecker » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:46 am

Thanks for the responses. A-25s are often available locally on craigslist. What's a good price?
wiredbecker
KT88

Postby erichayes » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:45 pm

I generally pay between $100 and $125 a pair and up to $50 for shipping. I'll see if I can find a similar thread regarding favorite speakers that explains what to look for in an A-25.
erichayes
KT88

Postby wiredbecker » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:06 am

Found a pair of A-25 XLs for $200 in fairly good shape. I'm going to have a look at them tomorrow evening. They may need some massaging due to the ole plant on the speaker scenario--supposedly no other water damage though. :FINGERS CROSSED:
wiredbecker
KT88

Postby SDS-PAGE » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:45 pm

If it is the same pair that I saw on SF Bay Craigslist for $200, it might be the same one I was thinking about looking into later in the weekend. You might get to it first as I have to drive from Sacramento area. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_05 Anyways, good luck and hope they are worth the price.
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Postby wiredbecker » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:23 am

Sorry bub. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_02 They sure are the same and I just had to snatch 'em up. Far superior to the mismatched set with differing finishes being sold for a cryptic $180-$280 in Walnut Creek that are now gone. These speakers were gently used and I happily paid the gentleman the asking price. Now to sell some of these other sets I've been hoarding.
wiredbecker
KT88

Speaker Recommendations:

Postby EdStiles » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:01 pm

I see that you list Klipsch Heresy IIs, they would probably be a good match especially if you rebuild the crossovers with new caps. I recently rebuilt a set of Klipsch Forte's with Auricaps and am stunned by the sound of them matched with a pair of Dyna Mk II amps converted to MK IIIs and using the DIY Tube board with 5751s and 12BH7s.

When rebuilding the crossovers, you can get the schematic from the Klipsch website, and it is not usually necessary (or easy) to replace the large cap in the Bass section. Replacing the 3 or so High Freq caps with Auricaps makes a huge improvement, Auricaps can be purchased thru Michael Percy Audio (website) or other locations. You may also consider replacing the stock resistor with a Mills Non Inductive wire-wound also availbe from Michael Percy. My Forte rebuild cost about $35 per speakers and the solder slinging to change them took about 30-40 minutes each. Be sure to secure the new caps woth some sort of adhesive (silicon sealer, etc)

http://www.percyaudio.com/Catalog.pdf (on Page 22)

Another recommended speaker would be the Dynaco A35. Many say it is the best sounding Dynaco speaker, having owned a pair and having compared them to the A25, I would have to agree. Again with any of the Dynaco speakers, rebuilding the crossover with Auricaps. Some additional info on the Dynaco speakers is available at:

http://home.indy.net/~gregdunn/dynaco/c ... /speakers/

Hope this helps.

Ed
EdStiles

Postby wiredbecker » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:27 pm

Thanks Ed. The Heresys are currently mounted up on the ceiling rafters and pointed down into the kitchen for, lets just say, non-critical listening. I'm not quite at a place where I can climb the ladder and wrangle the puppies down safely.

Regarding capacitor swapping, I really like the Klipsch just as they are! Maybe the AR4s would benefit from cap tweaking. ARs are really common around these parts so if worse comes to worse I can always find another inexpensive pair.

Greg Dunn's site is a great resource for Dynaco info.
wiredbecker
KT88

Return to loudspeakers