GSG w/6B4G: Tamura OPTs or cheaper?

2nd harmonics for the masses

GSG w/6B4G: Tamura OPTs or cheaper?

Postby lexdm3 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:35 pm

I'm new to DIYtube but recognize some of you from Audiokarma. I have a pretty good background in electronics (MSEE) and audio but am new to the SET world.

A few months ago, I bought a large collection of tube gear from the family of a guy who died suddenly last fall. Among the treasures was a G*S*G board built up with good parts, a number of NOS 6B4G tubes, a new in box Edcor XPWR005-120 power transformer, and two new in box Tamura F-2007 OPTs. I'll need a choke and some other parts but most of it is here.

I have been borrowing a pair of Bottlehead 2A3 Paramours and love the way they sound with my Altec 604E's so I will definitely build and keep the GSG. I'll modify Tom McNally's Front Panel Express as needed for my top plate (Thanks Tom!) and will build nice wooden sides for it.

My question for you GSG wizards: Are the Tamura F-2007's so good that they are worth keeping and using or am I better off to sell them and get something less fancy but still very good like James, Edcor or Transcendar OPTs? Since the Tamuras seem to sell for well over $300 each new, I could certainly come out ahead financially but what about audibly?

The F-2007 is a 10 watt OPT with 3K input impedance, 4, 8 and 16 ohm outputs

FWIW, I'm 62 and my ears aren't great. I have tinnitus and my HF hearing is over and done by 8KHz. That said, I definitely hear and appreciate the differences in very good vs. OK audio so I want this GSG to sound very good when I'm done.

Thanks for any advice you may have for me. --Dan
Tamura F-200x OPT Datasheet.jpg
Tamura F-200x OPT Datasheet.jpg (119.98 KiB) Viewed 5574 times
lexdm3

Re: GSG w/6B4G: Tamura OPTs or cheaper?

Postby cdmawolf » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:11 pm

The Tamura's are WAY better than the others, in my opinion. (banana)
cdmawolf

Return to get*set*go