Thinking about a G-S-G 300B, Chassis, and Tube Choice Qs

2nd harmonics for the masses

Thinking about a G-S-G 300B, Chassis, and Tube Choice Qs

Postby whaler » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:09 pm

My Shannon Parks ST35 is off to Asia, so I am really thinking about a 300B kit. Down to Elekit, ANK, and GSG which is at the top of the list for cost/performance ratio.

Two questions remain:

1. Is the 6B4G tube better sounding than the 300B in this amp? There seems to be more choices with new 300B, but they are pricey. Is there a dramatic difference between the two?

2. Chassis, is there one out there all drilled out for the tube sockets? My drill bits max at 1/2" and I do not have a drill press handy.

Hope to follow up with a bunch of photos if I go for it. Photos of my ST35 are in the forum.

Thanks.
whaler

Re: Thinking about a G-S-G 300B, Chassis, and Tube Choice Qs

Postby Shannon Parks » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:21 am

whaler wrote:1. Is the 6B4G tube better sounding than the 300B in this amp? There seems to be more choices with new 300B, but they are pricey. Is there a dramatic difference between the two?

For me it's more of a tube supply question. If you have some old stock 6B4Gs, that's a cool route to go. Else I've had great luck with the new, cheap 300Bs from eBay.

whaler wrote:2. Chassis, is there one out there all drilled out for the tube sockets? My drill bits max at 1/2" and I do not have a drill press handy.

Do a Front Panel Express top plate. Here's a file you can start modding:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1566

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby whaler » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:33 pm

Thanks Shannon, what does that top plate go for about? I got the software and I am looking at it now. I imagine the 300B tube socket hole will be slightly different...
whaler

Postby Shannon Parks » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:37 am

whaler wrote:Thanks Shannon, what does that top plate go for about? I got the software and I am looking at it now. I imagine the 300B tube socket hole will be slightly different...

Click the "Two Cents" icon at the top right for a quote. Yes, you'll want to modify that file for your exact usage (eg transformers, on/off switch, tube types).

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Return to get*set*go