GSG for 4ohm speakers?

2nd harmonics for the masses

GSG for 4ohm speakers?

Postby wes_in_va » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:27 am

How well might I expect the GSG to perform with my 4ohm speakers? I have a set of Tekton OB4.5's and a set of homebrew OB's that are both quite sensitive but are also 4ohm.
As I understand things, I'll need to use OPT's that can handle the load but I'm wondering what else I might need to do, and if this amp will be a good choice for the speakers. I've been using a Decware Zen and it does a nice job with both.
Can I set the amp up with multiple speaker inputs so that I can use 4 or 8 ohm speakers? Is that as simple as just wiring the binding posts to the different taps on the OPT?
wes_in_va

Re: GSG for 4ohm speakers?

Postby Shannon Parks » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:57 am

wes_in_va wrote:How well might I expect the GSG to perform with my 4ohm speakers? I have a set of Tekton OB4.5's and a set of homebrew OB's that are both quite sensitive but are also 4ohm.
As I understand things, I'll need to use OPT's that can handle the load but I'm wondering what else I might need to do, and if this amp will be a good choice for the speakers. I've been using a Decware Zen and it does a nice job with both.
Can I set the amp up with multiple speaker inputs so that I can use 4 or 8 ohm speakers? Is that as simple as just wiring the binding posts to the different taps on the OPT?

Just get outputs that support multiple speaker impedances. The James 6112HS/6113HS have 4 and 8 ohm taps, for example. I'm sure Edcor has something or will custom wind it. Just wire them to separate posts - easy!

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby Geek » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:56 pm

Edcor will not wind a multi-tap secondary SET OPT.

Brian says they don't spec to the Edcor standard.
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby wes_in_va » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:27 pm

The board is ordered. Can't wait to get started!
wes_in_va

Return to get*set*go