Tube sockets

2nd harmonics for the masses

Tube sockets

Postby JimDaBomb » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:21 pm

Which style tube sockets do I need for the 6B4G tubes? There seems to be a difference between the 6B4G sockets and the 6a3 and 300B sockets when I look at Tom McNally's amps. I ordered these.. http://store.triodestore.com/octal-cerchas.html are they right? I also have a pair with 4 holes/connectors that said for 300B and 2a3 tubes. I've never built a tube amplifier in my life so this is all new to me.. I have everything I need, the chassis is almost finished except for the PCB mounting holes and the on board tube holes since I'm just waiting on the board and on board parts now.
JimDaBomb

Re: Tube sockets

Postby TomMcNally » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:12 pm

Those are good sockets. 6B4G are 8 pin, Octal. 300B and 6A3 (and 2A3) are 4 pin, UX4.
The sockets you are getting from Triode need a 1 1/16" hole in the chassis, and two 4-40 mounting screws.
They look nice mounted from under the chassis.

Good luck with the amp, show us some pics!

... tom
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Re: Tube sockets

Postby JimDaBomb » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:14 pm

Thanks, hopefully all goes well. I will definitely take photos. I don't have the manual but I'm hoping it has every detail in the assembly.. I don't want to screw up any connections.. I'm never too sure about things like switches and fuses and such.
JimDaBomb

Return to get*set*go