Phono pot value for GSG?

2nd harmonics for the masses

Phono pot value for GSG?

Postby whaam68 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:10 am

Hi
I've been running my GSG for a few years now with a Yaqin MS12B active tube phono/pre, it's always taken a lot more turn to get the same volume on vinyl compared to CD on this unit. I've just built a boozehound JFET phono stage that I'm running off SLA batteries to experiment with. As I built my GSG as a power amp with no volume control what would be the best value for a pot at the output of the Boozehound?
Thanks
Mike
whaam68

Re: Phono pot value for GSG?

Postby Shannon Parks » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:25 am

whaam68 wrote:Hi
I've been running my GSG for a few years now with a Yaqin MS12B active tube phono/pre, it's always taken a lot more turn to get the same volume on vinyl compared to CD on this unit. I've just built a boozehound JFET phono stage that I'm running off SLA batteries to experiment with. As I built my GSG as a power amp with no volume control what would be the best value for a pot at the output of the Boozehound?
Thanks
Mike

Either a 50K or 100K dual log pot. You'll probably be running it mostly beyond 12 o'clock so miller capacitance won't be much of an issue. Also keep the interconnect cables at 1M or less.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Re: Phono pot value for GSG?

Postby whaam68 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:59 am

Thanks Shannon. I'd ordered a 100k alps (ebay clone) & will give that a try.
Regards
Mike
whaam68

Return to get*set*go