GSG powering compression drivers. Quiet?

2nd harmonics for the masses

GSG powering compression drivers. Quiet?

Postby tuyen » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:36 pm

Hi guys,

Have any of you guys out there tried powering 110db+ compression drivers with a GSG? Is it quiet enough? If by standard design it isn't, is there simple mods I can do to help this? extra choke?

I run a 4-way active horn system and I struggle to find appropriate SET amps (that are affordable!) to run the critical midrange/tweeter channels. Lots of DIY ones I have tried from friends have quite noticeable buzz/hum on idle. Thus I've been forced to use various low powered solid state/chip amps (eeeek!)

With thanks,
Tuyen
AUSTRALIA
tuyen

Re: GSG powering compression drivers. Quiet?

Postby Shannon Parks » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:14 am

My stock GSG is one of the quietest amps I own. I can use my 110dB efficient headphones - a real tough test - without issues.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby tuyen » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:37 pm

Thanks Shannon. Promising to know!

I read on one of the threads that one builder of the GSG implemented a CLCLC (ie. 2 chokes) and said it was 'blacker background'. Worthwhile ?

Is there anything that I need to consider in terms of component values if one was wanting to do the same?

Cheers mate
tuyen

Postby Shannon Parks » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:16 pm

tuyen wrote:Thanks Shannon. Promising to know!

I read on one of the threads that one builder of the GSG implemented a CLCLC (ie. 2 chokes) and said it was 'blacker background'. Worthwhile ?

Is there anything that I need to consider in terms of component values if one was wanting to do the same?

Cheers mate

Two chokes is fine, as the second choke subs an 90 ohm, 6W resistor (a pair of 180 ohm, 3W resistors paralleled at R17a & R17b). This can only help knock down 120Hz ripple, but since mine is so good with the stock values it must be a matter of ground referencing (earth ground, PCB ground and chassis ground) versus supply filtering.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby justinsweber » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:51 am

I have run many different versions of the GSG with 100db speakers... Lascalas and cornscala without hearing tube hiss or hums.
Grounding is imporant, I run big chokes. and with the GSG I run 2... think transcendar 5H chokes.
The tube rect seems to be quiter than SS rectification in my exp.
justinsweber

Return to get*set*go