Inrush limiter

2nd harmonics for the masses

Inrush limiter

Postby johnf » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:52 pm

Can anyone tell me whether I can use a CL-90 with a 240v version of the amp as I am not sure of the current draw of this circuit and have forgotten how to work it out.I also have a CL-140 but guess that it is rated too low (1.1amp)
Also does anyone have a view on whether to use 2.5K or 3.5k with James 6112HS OPT and NOS 6C4C Svetlana
I was also thinking of grounding the circuit to chassis and therefore to safety ground via a 100 Ohm and 0.1 X2 cap in parallel.

Thanks
John
johnf

Re: Inrush limiter

Postby Shannon Parks » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:18 pm

johnf wrote:Can anyone tell me whether I can use a CL-90 with a 240v version of the amp as I am not sure of the current draw of this circuit and have forgotten how to work it out.I also have a CL-140 but guess that it is rated too low (1.1amp)

Either will work fine. Your primary AC current will be about half a 120VAC transformer, so the CL-140 works, too.

johnf wrote:Also does anyone have a view on whether to use 2.5K or 3.5k with James 6112HS OPT and NOS 6C4C Svetlana

I would lean towards 3.5K, but if you need a little more power due to your speakers then 2.5K might be preferred.

johnf wrote:I was also thinking of grounding the circuit to chassis and therefore to safety ground via a 100 Ohm and 0.1 X2 cap in parallel.

Thanks
John

That'll be fine.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby johnf » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:53 pm

Shannon,
Thanks for the info. As a matter of interest, what is the current draw of the amp?
Also I notice from Tom's builds that he doesn't seem to ground the circuit. Is there an explanation for not grounding (floating?)
John
johnf

Postby Shannon Parks » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:59 am

johnf wrote:Shannon,
Thanks for the info. As a matter of interest, what is the current draw of the amp?
Also I notice from Tom's builds that he doesn't seem to ground the circuit. Is there an explanation for not grounding (floating?)
John

I just measured my stock GSG with a Kill-a-Watt at 0.77A and 83W. Regarding chassis grounds, the boards are still virtual grounded to the chassis via the transformers center tap and the leakages in the power transformer. But it is a good idea to run a single ground wire from the PCB ground to the chassis. You can attach your safety ground to that point, too.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby Geek » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:40 am

For optimum performance with inrush limiters, run them right at their average rating... is their an 800mA model? Use it!

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Return to get*set*go