Fancy power tranny?

2nd harmonics for the masses

Fancy power tranny?

Postby jetpack » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:25 am

Hi all.

Just a quick question: I've almost finished a 2nd GSG build and will use James 6123 OPT. Would a fancy Japanese power transformer help the sound at all or am I just as well off getting a cheap 774 from triodeel? I'm currently in Tokyo and a few things have caught my eye.

A few months of listening already down on my first GSG and I couldn't be happier. I put in a potentiometer and source selector to bypass a pre, but I ended up using a Hagerman Clarinet. The two units certainly complement each other. I can't wait to see what happens when I try out some horns made out of the Fostex drivers I've picked up here instead of my sweet 1970 Kenwood-Kabuki 3-ways.

Thanks for any input.

Cheers.
jetpack

Re: Fancy power tranny?

Postby EWBrown » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:20 pm

IMHO the power tranny isn't as much of a factor as are the OPTs, coupling caps and tubes. Once you've gotten past the rectifiers and first cap and choke,
it is pretty much a case of "DC is DC"... However, you may find something entirely suitable at a decent price while in Tokyo (Akihibara District?)
Just be sure that the tranny primary winding has 120VAC capability, much of Japan uses 100VAC, some of the "outer islands" use 200V, and other AC line
voltages, on a local basis. The best choice for a poqwe tranny would have multiple primary voltage taps and combinations.

I'd be on the lookout for some nice SE OPTs, if I were over there [:)

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Return to get*set*go