S.E.T. for Cornwalls?

2nd harmonics for the masses

S.E.T. for Cornwalls?

Postby fiftyfivefilms » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:50 am

I'd like to build my first set amp but have a few questions before ordering. I confused about the low wattage, the Get Set Go is 3 wts with 6B4G or 5 wts with 300B's.

I'd like to use this amp with my Klipsch Cornwalls (98 Db), would either of these suffice?

Putting it in a different perspective, at present I'm using a Dynaco 70 (35wts per channel) or a pair of Heathkits W5m's (25watts per channel) with the Cornwalls and am looking for about the same power.

How would the Get Set Go compare to using Shannons ST-35 ( love mine btw)? I've found that my ST-35 lacks the umph of the larger watt amps to drive the Cornwalls and have relegated it to my other set up with a pair of Heresy's. Sounds great there!!
Thanks in advance for your time.
Cheers,
Kirk

I've looked at all the Combinations on Tom McNallys page and am pumped about building one.
fiftyfivefilms

Postby justinsweber » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:56 am

If you need more power than the GSG is not your ticket. That said. I have 2 pairs of cornscala's and they run amazingly with the Chelm 3/4watt and equally well with the 300b. Both play very load the 3/4 will not rock the house but sound evry bit as sweet as the 300b. Though I have built lost of SET amps based on Shannons PCBs, I have a real foundness for the EL84 sound esp his ST35.

In Simple terms... build any amp... its fun and shoudl be more than enough power for your speakers. If you really do need more power than build his Ikes... Heard nothing but good reports on them, or Dynaco MKIII.

I have build a pair of Dynaco MKIIIs with Shannons PCB, C Chongs power supply and Triode sourced iron and Chassis. That combo compaired really well with my Mcintosh MC275.
justinsweber

Postby fiftyfivefilms » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:29 pm

justinsweber wrote:If you need more power than the GSG is not your ticket. That said. I have 2 pairs of cornscala's and they run amazingly with the Chelm 3/4watt and equally well with the 300b. Both play very load the 3/4 will not rock the house but sound evry bit as sweet as the 300b. Though I have built lost of SET amps based on Shannons PCBs, I have a real foundness for the EL84 sound esp his ST35.

In Simple terms... build any amp... its fun and shoudl be more than enough power for your speakers. If you really do need more power than build his Ikes... Heard nothing but good reports on them, or Dynaco MKIII.

I have build a pair of Dynaco MKIIIs with Shannons PCB, C Chongs power supply and Triode sourced iron and Chassis. That combo compaired really well with my Mcintosh MC275.

Thanks, Yes I dig that el-84 sound, I've got my ST-35 paired with a PAS-3 rebuilt with some of Geeks boards, a Marantz C-7 Phono section with a Koren line section ..the whole system sounds terrific, but my favorite El-84 amp is my Eico HF-32 ( quad of tubes each unit) that deliverers plenty to my Cornwalls, they call it an HF-86 on steroids.

I'm going to forge ahead, should I consider a Clementine over the Get Set Go? 3/4 of a watt scares me, but I do have lots of 6L6's, El-34 on hand so a new type of tube is more appealing to me.

...With the Get Set Go should I go with the 300B or the stock 6B4G....? I'm a fan of old tubes but can I really ever think I'll be able to afford NOS 300B's...I doubt it, and a hundred dollars a tube for new Chinese hmmmm.... but 2 more watts might make a world of difference driving the Cornwalls

I'm going to do a little more research on different transformer configurations and enclosures...
Thanks for your thoughts
Cheers,
Kirk
fiftyfivefilms

Postby Shannon Parks » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:35 pm

Kirk, maybe try the Budgie SE instead? You won't have much invested, and it can always be a headphone amp if you think it doesn't have enough slam on the Klipsch. It's basically a mini-Clementine ULtra (UL connection with some global feedback). It's 3W should be fine on the Cornwalls.

http://www.diytube.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... highlight=

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby fiftyfivefilms » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:01 pm

separks wrote:Kirk, maybe try the Budgie SE instead? You won't have much invested, and it can always be a headphone amp if you think it doesn't have enough slam on the Klipsch. It's basically a mini-Clementine ULtra (UL connection with some global feedback). It's 3W should be fine on the Cornwalls.

http://www.diytube.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... highlight=

Shannon

Thanks Shannon,
I saw the Budgie SE and was curious, but I've got about five El-84 amps and was interested in trying a new tube type. I don't really need a headphone amp (no headphones) and I want to mate my amp with an Aikidio octal preamp that I built from one of John Broskies boards, so I'm leaning towards the GSG.

Question: I can't seem to find the manual/information for the Chubby Clem or Ultra? is it different from the regular Clem?......this might be an option for me.

I also have a question for Tom McNally: looking over all your amps I'm curious how you decided the transformer orientation when using a PA-774 PT with the round James output transformers?... on your 300B amp from 1-5-2011 the laminations face one way and on your Darling amp from 5-8-07 they face the opposite. Just curious.

Again thanks for your time,
Cheers,
Kirk
fiftyfivefilms

Postby Shannon Parks » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:22 am

I hear you, Kirk. It's time for some other tubes. Here's the mod page for the ULtra from a stock 6L6 version (Chubby):
http://www.diytube.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5011

This is the main Clem page with the Darling and 6L6 verisons:
http://www.diytube.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4893

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby fiftyfivefilms » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:51 am

separks wrote:I hear you, Kirk. It's time for some other tubes. Here's the mod page for the ULtra from a stock 6L6 version (Chubby):
http://www.diytube.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5011

This is the main Clem page with the Darling and 6L6 verisons:
http://www.diytube.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4893

Shannon

Hi, Ordered my board!...have a question about Transender output transformers, on the BOM you suggest the 311-OT 3.5k

I've been following another thread; A shiny new Get*Set*Go with Transcendars and he is using:312-OT 5K OPTs they are both the same price...I'm planning on doing the 300B mod does it make a difference to go with the 5K model,
Thanks again!
Kirk
fiftyfivefilms

Postby battradio » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:58 am

With a 6B4G or a 300B tubes the 3.5 K output would provide the most power out from the amp , the 5K transformer would be best with a 45 tube which needs a higher plate impeadance .

The 3.5 K output transformer is the best comprimise between power output and distortion

http://www.nj7p.org/Common/Tube/SQL/Tub ... ?Type=6B4G
Mark
battradio
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:56 am

Kirk, definitely go with the 3.5K as Mark suggests. With a 300B, I might even suggest going with a 3K or 2.5K if that is an option. The plate impedance is less with a 300B than a 6B4G and we can squeeze some more out of the 300B. And they're so dang linear, you can get away with it.

Also, I suggest you omit the 6AX5GT and use diode rectification. You'll get a much higher B+ and more output power.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby fiftyfivefilms » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:41 am

battradio wrote:With a 6B4G or a 300B tubes the 3.5 K output would provide the most power out from the amp , the 5K transformer would be best with a 45 tube which needs a higher plate impeadance .

The 3.5 K output transformer is the best comprimise between power output and distortion

http://www.nj7p.org/Common/Tube/SQL/Tub ... ?Type=6B4G

Thanks guy's,
I've got most of my order in!!!
Cheers,
Kirk
fiftyfivefilms

Postby fiftyfivefilms » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:08 pm

separks wrote:Kirk, definitely go with the 3.5K as Mark suggests. With a 300B, I might even suggest going with a 3K or 2.5K if that is an option. The plate impedance is less with a 300B than a 6B4G and we can squeeze some more out of the 300B. And they're so dang linear, you can get away with it.

Also, I suggest you omit the 6AX5GT and use diode rectification. You'll get a much higher B+ and more output power.

Shannon

Hi, Received my board and I'm doing a preliminary mock up. I'm going to be using a vintage 12x10 Bud Box with cage and its going to be a tight fit with the Transender output transformers ( I think they are bigger than the Endcors and James). Since I'm using 300B's and using diodes on V2 is there any reason I can't mount the board slightly under the PT ? I'm thinking about an inch and a half of it going under the PT covering up the unused V2 socket. Possible hum issue?...

I'm thinking of a different configuration rather the the usually symmetrical one like on Tom's amps, more like my Heathkit W-5M.. PT on one side Outputs on the other and the 300B's down the middle... The board looks great, love the Red color.
Cheers,
Kirk
fiftyfivefilms

Postby Shannon Parks » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:39 am

fiftyfivefilms wrote: Since I'm using 300B's and using diodes on V2 is there any reason I can't mount the board slightly under the PT ? I'm thinking about an inch and a half of it going under the PT covering up the unused V2 socket. Possible hum issue?...

I think that will be fine.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Return to get*set*go