GSG source selector

2nd harmonics for the masses

GSG source selector

Postby jetpack » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:04 pm

Hi all.

I'm about to start a GSG project. This will only be my 4th tube project. With each one, I realize that I know less and less... Anyway, I'm thinking of trying to add both a source selector and volume attenuators. I've searched the forum and see that lots of people have added attenuators, but nobody has switched multiple signal inputs.

Is this a bad idea? Many thanks!
jetpack

Postby TerrySmith » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:36 pm

Hi and welcome!

If the GSG has all the gain you need then a selector switch and a volume pot or attenuator will work good.

BTW, the GSG is simple to build and sounds really great. What transformers will you be using?
T. Smith
TerrySmith
KT88

Re: GSG source selector

Postby highflyin9 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:49 pm

jetpack wrote:Is this a bad idea? Many thanks!

As Terry said, not at all.

Check out the Elma 04-1264 switch, it's a nice high quality unit. http://www.partsconnexion.com/SWITCH-73306.html
My DIY Electronics Blog: DIYAudioBlog.com
highflyin9

Postby jetpack » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:26 pm

Thanks for the replies. The only source I really care about is my turntable coming out of a proper phono stage, so there should already be plenty of gain. If not, I can swap triodes in the preamp and have even more.

I'll be using the 230-240V primary version of the ST-35 power tranny from triodeelctric (maybe #774?) and a couple of Hammond 125ESEs for the output. Not the best, but the prices were reasonable.

Thanks for the switch link. That looks very nice.

I'm sure I'll run into another question or two sooner or later.
Cheers.
jetpack

Postby Shannon Parks » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:03 am

If you one need a source selector for two inputs, a DPDT switch gives you a million options, and probably better reliability than many multi-switches. Cheap, small and ubiquitous, too.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby TerrySmith » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:03 pm

Another good switch is the Russian surplus ceramic switches found on e-pay. They are heavy duty and have silver plated contacts.
T. Smith
TerrySmith
KT88

Postby SVinzant » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:38 am

Jetpack,
Here is a post of how I did it.

Scott
SVinzant

Postby jetpack » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:07 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I want to switch 3 or 4 sources, so I went with a locally-sourced (New Zealand) switch. I am fine with everything running through the volume control, so I don't need an elegant solution like SVinzant.

I did decide to cancel the ESE125 order and go with something a little nicer. I'll most likely use a pair of SILK output transformers now. My original plan was to put in the budget Hammonds and then pick up some Japanese iron on a visit to Japan in early 2013, but that's a long time to wait...

I have access to a metal break at my workplace, so I'll give a go at making my own chassis. I have very limited experience with metal work, so it will probably end up looking like a stock trailer. I'll post some photos if there is anything worth seeing.
jetpack

Return to get*set*go