Does a GSG have to be in a metal case?

2nd harmonics for the masses

Does a GSG have to be in a metal case?

Postby Martin G » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:24 am

I recently traded with a buddy, some gear for a non working GSG. I got it working but I"m not happy with the metal enclosure. I have woodworking tools and a little skill. I was wondering if the case has to be metal. Can I craft one from wood and still have the amp work properly? I realize the top would have to be strong enough to support the transformers (Edcors in this case) but is there need for shielding or a ground plane?
Martin G

Postby evsentry3 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:49 am

Many amps have been built in non-metal enclosures. You do raise some possibilities of noise from putting it too close to other devices perhaps, but generally paying attention to construction and placement details, you're very likely to perfectly fine.

One thing though...pay attention to safety! Specifically run a ground to all the transformers so they don't have the potential for harm in a failure situation!!!

Good luck and have fun and if you do build...post pictures!

Mark
evsentry3

Postby EWBrown » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:49 am

Another technique is to use a meta chassis l plate under the wooden top, for grounding and shielding, and for mechanical strength.

The combined weight of the transformer and chokes s could be a "challenge" to an un-reinforced wooden top.

Best to lay out and drill / punch the metal chassis plate first, then drill the wooden top to match it.

HTH

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Return to get*set*go